1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD lens hoods question

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mrjr, Nov 27, 2013.

1. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm planning to buy an FD-m43 adapter for a few Canon lenses I have, and I'm also looking to add a hood for my nFD 50mm f1.8. Now, the hood designed for this lens is the BS-52, which would presumably yield best protection from stray light for this lens while being used on my Canon AE-1P film body. However, there's also a BT-52 hood designed to be used with the 85mm f1.8 and 100mm f2.8, which would provide the best protection for a short tele, which is what the 50mm f1.8 effectively is on my m43 body.

So the question I have is: does the BT-52 also fit my 50 f1.8? Because, if so, that would be the better hood to use when adapting to m43.

According to a couple reference/knowledge base sites I looked at, the "52" designation in both of those hoods refers to the size of the filter thread for the lenses on which the hoods will be used. All three lenses mentioned above (50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, 100mm f2.8) have 52mm filter threads, and also a hood bayonet up front.

Is it safe to assume that the hood bayonets are identical on all the above? If anyone knows the answer to this, I'd be most grateful.

P.S.: Do any third-party brands make a less expensive clone of these hoods?

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

2. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  3. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks. That's probably the most sensible option.

I'd prefer to get an original-style bayonet-mounting hood (since they can reverse, etc), but they are rather more expensive.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

4. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    A rubber hood might work too; those are reversible. I did find off-brand Canon bayonet hoods but not the specific ones you've listed.

5. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    I have one . I will check later. I think I picked it up for very little on Keh.com BTW.

• Like Like x 1
  6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Ok, thanks for your help.

7. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Great!

8. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I don't think that you'll notice any better performance from the BT hood as opposed to the BS one, but it will absolutely fit - the hood mounts were standardized. I have both hoods and both lenses and I can't note any difference in performance when interchanged. The BS is sufficient to shade the lens; once you've got something sufficient, there's minimal need to keep getting longer and longer hoods, though your desire to squeeze everything out of setup that you can is your call of course ;-)

Although you can get much cheaper screw-in hoods, I really like the original Canon ones. The felt interior really stops light dead. The cheap metallic screw-ins are more likely to still reflect a little bit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    This is great. This is exactly what I was hoping to learn. Thank you very much for taking the time to check for me.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    Sorry for late reply. Yes, the BT-52 does indeed fit.

• Like Like x 1