1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD lens help

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Aegon, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    I've got two Canon FD lenses and one rear cap. (I don't have an FD body).

The rear cap attaches normally to one lens, pushing in and turning until secure.

But the cap doesn't push all the way in on the other lens, so that the tabs don't sink below the outer ring and I can't turn the cap to secure it.

Is there something I can do to make the rear cap fit? Is the second lens broken?

2. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    You may have to turn the lens ring around the cap instead. For me FD is a squirrelly lens mount.

3. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    No. You may have to turn the lens ring around the cap instead. For me FD is a squirrelly lens mount.

4. RichardB

RichardB Snapshooter

Nov 19, 2012
    Maryland, US
    Richard
    As I recall, there are two kinds of FD lenses. One kind has the typical bayonet mount like other lenses, which you insert and twist on, and release and twist off. The older kind, which had a technical advantage in theory, required inserting the lens on a camera's mount (or a rear cap) and then twisting a locking ring near the base of the lens. The advantage of this mount was to reduce wear between lens and mount. However, you have to check that the locking ring is in the open position, not the locked position, before you try attaching a camera or a rear cap.

The mount is a small nuisance, but the FD lenses can be optically excellent and a great bargain.

5. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

there are two types of FD lens, old and new. The old have a metallic ring at the base which turns, the new FD rotates the lens. Do you have both of the same type?

See this video presenting both types

[video=youtube;bQk2UOWuQho]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQk2UOWuQho[/video]

note that on the first lens he rotates the ring, not the lens. In the second he roates the mount (which would otherwise normally be the camera body).

Also, for what its worth I have a couple of caps which don't turn and lock properly but just 'bump' over plastic tabs.

6. Box Brownie

Box Brownie Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014
    Essex, England
    The only time I had this problem was with a 'FD fit' lens that was not actually made by Canon.