Canon FD Advice

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by chrism_scotland, Aug 22, 2011.

1. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Hi folks, looking for some advice from someone much more knowledgeable about FD kit than I am!

I've been playing with a couple of FD lenses (50 f1.8 and 24 f2.8) and really like them so it seems sensible to add more FD lenses if I'm going to purchase any more legacy glass.

I really fancy a macro lens and have been looking at the 50mm f3.5 but they're not exactly pennies! But I was wondering about extension tubes, should I be able to source FD tubes and use these successfully with probably my 50mm?
  2. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'm not sure how the prices are in Scotland, but I found a Canon FD 50mm f3.5 on ebay not too long ago for $36 in like new condition. I purchased the extension tube separately. I don't remember the price of the tube now, but it was very reasonable. KEH Camera has FD extension tubes for as little as $2. I would look around, I imagine other stores would have similar prices.

3. tam

tam Mu-43 Regular

Apr 12, 2010
    Another alternative for your 50 is a reversing ring. The lens mounts reversed on the adapter, then effectively the adapter acts as an extension. I've got good results using a nikon 50 in this way - though of course the nikon adapter is longer than the Canon one.

(that's a large daisy BTW, a tiny fly! To give some sense of scale)

My nikon reversing ring cost me £3 - so it's a pretty budget option!
  4. chrism_scotland

chrism_scotland Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Thanks guys, sadly the Canon 55 f3.5 is about £100-£120 over here in the UK which is why I was considering extension tubes as a hopefully much cheaper option!