1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon fd 85mm f1.8?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by stevedo, May 25, 2012.

1. stevedo

stevedo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2012
    UK
    Anyone using one of these with an Olympus OM-D? I've decided on the Olympus body and now agonising over my lens choice. I already have a Canon fd 85mm f1.8 in mint condition that I've owned from new. Looking at the new Olympus 75mm f1.8 lens I'm wondering if it's worth paying out to essentially just get AF. However, if the canon lens is poor on the OM-D then I may need to rethink. So anyone using the canon 85 1.8 on an OM-D?

PS I'll be investing in M4/3 for the first time as a travel kit to replace my current EOS digital setup.

PPS I also have 24mm f2, 35mm f2 and 200mm f4 all in excellent condition. Any experience of these?

2. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I have an FD 85mm f1.8 SC. It has a nice balance on a PEN, and is easy to focus. For my standards, it's a nice lens and it can do a few things my slower micro 43 zooms cannot do. Your standards may be stricter but it doesn't cost much to find out.

The FD-micro43 adapters are only $20-30 from ebay or amazon. I'd suggest you get one and try out your FD lenses for yourself. Manual focus is pretty easy on Olympus mico43 cameras, although you would probably have to program up the magnify function into your OMD.

If your other three lenses are also FD mount, I'd say the 85mm has the most utility. You will likely find the Panasonic 20mm and 14mm primes much superior to your old wide angles. Either of the two Olympus kit zooms will probably be better too.

Going back to the 85mm, who knows, maybe lens lust for the Zuiko 75mm will cause more users to want a fast lens in the focal length and kick up the value of our 85mm's.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    If you already own this lens, then use it! Adapters are cheap. Usually the only problem I have with adapters is having to wait for them to ship, since they don't sell much in retail stores. Obviously the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 is not even here yet sso the adapter will be a MUCH shorter wait in this case! You've got a great lens, so put it to use.

Besides which, if you start using your Canon FD 85/1.8 now then by the time the m.Zuiko 75mm/1.8 becomes available to buy you'll already know the answer for yourself if you still need it. ;)