Canon FD 50mm/ f1.4

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by nickfromlondon, Feb 19, 2012.

1. nickfromlondon

nickfromlondon Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2011
    Good evening everyone,

Having so much fun with my G2, thanks for all your advice recently...

I'm in one of those "oooh I feel like buying something" kind of moods and I have noticed that Canon FD 50mm f1.4 are very cheap on ebay (£30 approx) plus adaptor.

Would I have fun with one of these?

I already own the Panasonic 20mm/f1.8. Will the canon perform even better in low light?

And will it be too much of a pain for the relative novice that I am to work the manual aperture etc? I know these legacy lenses do work on the Panasonics but I am not entirely certain how easy they are to use. I know I have to manually set the aperture and the focus but is there a lot else to bear in mind?

Bottom line is will I be driving myself mad for no material improvement (esp in low light) compared to the Panny 20mm.

Thanks as ever for all your insight!

Nick

2. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    f/1.4 is not going to be a huge improvement over f/1.7 in low light.

Keep in mind, however, that 50mm (100mm on 135 format) is going to be pretty long. If you're shooting indoors, this won't do you any favors, especially if you can't back up enough to fit your subject(s) in the frame.

3. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    This is a fine lens. I have used it for decades with my Canon AE-1 film camera.

The material improvement is that you will have slightly twice the focal length of the 20mm f/1.7 which is the equivalent of 40mm on a full-frame camera.

The 50mm Canon will essentially be a 100mm.

To get an idea of the extra time you will need to capture images with the Canon 50mm, place your camera in M and MF (manual focus) modes. Set desired aperture, then use the focus ring on the 20mm, and shoot.

This is the way we did it decades ago with film. Not too difficult when you acclimate to the practice.

You may find a different but equally satisfying experience with the Canon 50mm.

Hope this helps.

4. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Look for the thread on the adapted lens image archive. I have one of these, and it's one of my favorites.

5. Anthonys

Anthonys Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    Sydney
    Anthony
    Worth it for some fun, it's a nice lens too. Using it is easy but getting the focus right at f1.4 with that shallow depth of field can be tricky, especially if the target is moving. I had one of them for a few months last year and actually found it more fun to use than the 20mm. I gave it to a friend with the intention of replacing if with the 45mm Olympus so I'd have AF but also as the canon and adaptor are quite heavy in comparison.