Canon FD 50mm 1.8

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by evancalkins, Dec 30, 2010.

1. evancalkins

evancalkins New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2010
    Hello, I'm the new owner of a GF1 body - my first m4/3 camera. It's currently in transit... I haven't actually got my hands on it yet :( I took advantage of the $299 price on Amazon today: Amazon.com: Lumix DMC-GF1 Digital Camera Body: Camera & Photo

Anyways, I didn't have the budget for the full kit with the 20mm 1.7 which I planning on picking up in the next 6 months.

Instead, I picked up a lens mount and a Canon FD 50mm 1.8 on eBay. I got the lense for $20.

I was curious if anybody would be interested in posting some shots with your Canon FD 50mm 1.8 so I can see what that lense is capable of. If this lens isn't even worth shooting, I may grab a 1.4 as well.

Thanks!

2. A couple of shots can be found here...

50mm FD f1.8 Image Thread

Samples will vary, particularly given the age of such lenses, but a good example of this lens will work fine on a m4/3 camera. I haven't used mine much because I have the f1.4 as well. The f1.4 won't necessarily be any sharper at similar apertures, but has better coatings and a smaller minimum focussing distance.

50mm FD f1.4 Image Thread

3. Michael

Michael Mu-43 Regular

Does this 50mm f1.8 have a Breach Lock Mount or is it the 'New FD bayonet mount' the latter has a button that is depressed to demount the lens if it is the former the 1.8 is actually a better lens than the 1.4. with the new FD they are about the same in over all resolution and colour rendering. I personally prefer many of the older lenses, the QC over the whole range was superior to the later range when Canon became more market driven and introduced the L series. Of the BLM and of keen interest for M4/3 users the 17mm, 24mm 50mm 55mm 85mm and 135mm are all superb and in good condition some still sell for not much less than what they sold for new, thats forty years ago!

4. evancalkins

evancalkins New to Mu-43

Dec 30, 2010
  5. No, your lens is the 'new' FD bayonet mount version. The nFD lenses are often a good deal lighter than the earlier models and it is easier to mount and dismount the lens without the breech-lock arrangement.