1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 50/1.8 or Canon EF 50/1.8 or Nikon 50/1.8D?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by acmilan77051, Jan 2, 2014.

1. acmilan77051

acmilan77051 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 2, 2014
    Can i get a recommendation please? My E-PL5 (body only) will be arriving next month, it's actually a jump from my smartphone camera. So It's my first CSC camera, my first MFT. What I've learned after reading a lot in forums and watching hours of videos is that we've the flexibility of MFT to mount legacy lenses due to their low price. I'm weighing up three option. One is the Canon FD 50mm f/1.8, another is the Canon EF 50/1.8 another Nikon F 50mm/1.8. I've seen the sample image thread. And the FD lens has richest collection of samples of high quality. It's also the cheapest among three. But for me, it's the Most expensive among three :( ok ok bear with me. That's because i live in Bangladesh, so even if i found a good deal of 25$ on the FD lens in KEH.com. But taking account of the shipment cost and duty tax, I'll end up spending about 125$ on the lens alone. But the Canon EF and Nikon prime lenses are available here for around 100$, and those are new. But there aren't many samples of these two lenses to convince me. And I've heard that as FD lens was produced in an era of manual focus, the focus ring is actually friendly for focusing than those newer EF lenses. Now my question is that is the used FD lens worth the extra cash for their proven quality on MFT or will i be better off playing safe by betting on the new (but cheaper for me) Canon EF or Nikon option? Which will be the better option? If second option is better, then which lens will be better Canon EF 50 or Nikon 50? I'm new to photography, totally new. But i was always interested in taking pics, but my phone camera always let me down, so now I've got some cash, i want to really explore new horizons with my E-PL5. I am going for the legacy lenses as I'm tight on cash right now. But want to listen to the expert voices, if needed i can buy the Oly 45/1.8, but if only needed. You can sense I'm actually trying my best to resist myself from buying the native one :( anyways any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    Manual focus lenses are better for focusing manually due to the longer turn required for the focusing ring movement. As far as the EF lens, Canon AF lenses do not have aperture rings so you will be shooting wide open all the time. The Nikon 50 f1.8D has an aperture ring so adjusting the aperture is possible. There are many fine choices for legacy 50mm lenses and finding one could be easy.

3. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    The Nikon 50mm f1.8 Ais is a fine lens. Mine is satisfyingly sharp wide open.

4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    As mentioned, the Canon EF lens won't work on µ4/3 cameras due to the lack of any way to control the aperture. KEH to Bangladesh would hurt (KEH to anywhere outside the US hurts), but eBay to Bangladesh shouldn't be anywhere near that, should it?

Any normal lens is going to give you good results, be it Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Helios, Vivitar, Jupiter, Industar, Minolta, and so on and so on. The FD 50/1.8 is the least special FD lens ever in my opinion, so I'd say just get whatever you can get your hands on in your price range and enjoy it. :)

5. acmilan77051

Jan 2, 2014
    Thanks to you and everybody else for their replies. I'm new. So I'll need every bit of advice from you guys. I saw the FD 50/1.8 image thread. They got some amazing shots in there. I mean to me the quality they were getting is to notch. But again i don't know much. If FD 50 is your least fav then which prime will you suggest, i would need a prime, as i would be shooting portraits mostly And some bokeh here and there. I was suggested for KEH, but didnt got to try e-bay, because during sign-up it didnt recognize my postal code! Grrr :mad: anyways I'll try again. oh another thing i wanted to ask is which focal length should i buy. I was looking for the 50s.but keeping the crop factor in mind, it would become a 100mm.so what do you suggest 25mm for potraits? I see u have quite a collection, some FD 24mm are also there. ;) Thanks man.

6. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Pretty much any of the 50mm f/1.8 manual focus lenses are good. I'd stay away from autofocuses lenses, even if they have a aperture ring you will probably end up paying more for them.

The best strategy is to look for a good deal on the lens, then order the proper adapter for that mount. Ebay is a good place to look, many people will ship around the world at a reasonable cost. Just be sure to look at the shipping costs and policies before bidding.

Personally I use an Olympus OM-system 50mm, mainly because I wanted the brand to match. :) But I've used Minolta, Pentax, Canon, Nikon and found them all to be good.

7. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    50mm is a good focal length for portraits, even with the 2x crop factor. The Olympus portrait lens for MFT is 45mm, so 50mm is close enough.

24mm or 28mm manual focus lenses are good to have, but they aren't idea for portraits.

8. stargate

stargate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 14, 2013
    Greece
    I just bought an Olympus Zuiko 50mmm f1.8 and still waiting for it to arrive. It was inexpensive at $45 including shipping. The adaptor was another $8. At 2.8 it is supposed to be very sharp and it is small and light in line with the mft sizes.

9. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I'm not suggesting that the FD 50/1.8 isn't a fine lens that you can take spectacular portraits with. But it was the cheapest-built FD lens, had the fewest aperture blades, and was the only lens in the nFD line to have the simpler SC coating instead of the SSC. I just never found it comparable the rest of the FD line. My favourite would be the nFD 50/1.2L, but that's well out of the price bracket that you're looking at. The nFD 50/1.4 is a perfect lens and a great place to start with manual.

Focal length is a very personal taste; you like what you like and your preferences are unlikely to change because of what other people have to say. My favourite FL is between 50-100mm in full-frame terms. My favourite FL to put on µ4/3 is a 24mm. Can be used for many types of photography. 24mm lenses are considerably more expensive than their 50mm counterparts though. The Canon nFD 24mm f/2.8 is a reasonably affordable gem.

10. hinting

hinting Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 13, 2012
    Look for a nikon E-series 50f1.8

it is small, light and sharp. Perfect for any m43 camera. search for it.

11. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    Look at the E-Series Nikon 50/1.8 lens. It is very sharp and compact. I have seen them for as little as $35.00.

12. acmilan77051

Jan 2, 2014
    O oh.. Why didn't u post a little earlier :( i searched for the Minolta 50/1.4 for a while. But the price range was a Lil step for me. So i ordered the Canon FD 50,which was going for 39$ including shipping. I don't know what I'll have to pay for taxes though. My camera will come next month. Hoping for some adventure. I don't go out too often. But i really want to take my cam outside, and love it. I'll post my pics, idk what'll they be like :p and thanks a lot guys, you've been really helpful. This forum is great and people are lovely :D thanks! (say cheeze:)