1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 50 1.5 Broken aperture ring??

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by fransglans, Mar 8, 2013.

1. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Hi!

I have a stupid question (probably :)
    I took my fathers old fd 50 1.8 out today, I have used it before but today
    I tried to MANUALLY change aperture (with the lens adapted to the camera), but nothing happened, I mean, the aperture blades never moved, it was FULL OPENING (1.8 )all the time. Am I totally stupid or what is happening? I even un- mounted the lens and tried to see whats wrong, but even then the blades did not move...

I even tried another legacy lens of mine, quantaray 28 2.8 FD but same thing here, only full opening (2.8 )

what am I missing??

thank u for your help!

// Gus

2. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    FD lenses don't move the aperture unless mounted on the camera or an adapter. There are some locking levers and pins you have to play with to get the aperture to move. Both your lenses are probably just fine. Do a Google search on the FD lens mount and you should find some info on what to twiddle to get the aperture to move when not mounted.

3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Your adapter should have a moving ring labeled "open -- lock" or something similar. If you don't have it in "lock" the aperture ring won't actually stop down the aperture blades.

4. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Sweden
    gus
    Thank u!!

It was the adapter like u said! I never thought it could affect the blades, only the locking thing...

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Great. So like kwalsh said, now that you see how it works on the mount adapter, you should be able to figure out which pins/levers to hold on the lens itself while adjusting the aperture (say if you're evaluating a used lens and don't have the adapter with you).