1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 135mm f/2 - First Impressions

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Jman, May 20, 2011.

1. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    So I got a very good price (about 50% under the general 'going rate') on a near mint Canon FD 135mm f/2. The lens has flawless glass, flawless aperture blades, perfect focus and only a few very small, very minor scuffs on the retractable hood. It looks practically brand new. I also got it complete with original box, all original packing materials, caps, manual, unused warranty card and even the original silica gel! :) My FD->m4/3 adapter came today, but I only had a chance to take a few shots.

First impressions: This is a very good lens. It's pretty sharp wide open (not critically sharp, but still very good), with very nice bokeh. The only downside optically that I can see so far is that like many fast older lenses, it is prone to a bit of purple fringing on high contrast areas and a fair amount of longitudinal CA, depending on the subject. Overall, though, these are pretty minor, and to get good resolution wide open on the extremely dense GH2 sensor, means that I bet on full frame this thing would be absolutely amazing (if you could hack it apart to adapt it). Anyway, I'm using it as a fast longish telephoto, and I think it will perform quite well for that. It's built well, but is rather lightweight for the length/aperture. It handles really well on my GH bodies. I think I'll like this a lot.

Quick shot of my daughter, wide open:

chloe_fd135.

And some shots of the lens on my GH2 (hood retracted on all of these):

fd135-1.

fd135-2.

fd135-3.

• Like Like x 11
  2. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    where are the shots?????

3. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Um.. In the message. I can see them just fine on multiple browsers. Wonder if my website was down for a minute, right when you loaded the page. I'd imagine a reload should work.

4. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    That's a beautiful shot of your daughter, she's gorgeous.... very nice bokeh and sharpness on that lens, and it looks the part on the Panasonic body as well....

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Nice shot. The lens looks at home on a G series, too. If Oly had that "mini DSLR" body with IBIS, that'd be a stellar combo!

6. longimanus

longimanus Mu-43 Regular

Apr 29, 2011
    Madrid (Spain)
    Fantastic shot!!!!
    Sharp and delicious bokeh

7. Jman

Jman Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    Columbus, OH
    Thanks...here are a few more from today. These are all wide open:

flamingo_fd.

The bokeh's a little nervous in this one because it was shot through a steel fence with bars every 2.5 inches. :)
    lions_fd.

flower_fd.

8. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    You know the lens looks nice, and I'll bet it performs well too.

With that part out of the way. That is one beautiful little girl! :thumbup:

She's adorable...

Thanks.

9. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Great pictures, especially the one with your daughter - what a gem!

Reading this thread reminded me that I had a older version of the Canon 135mm collecting dust - f/2.5 S.C. model with the breech lock. Took a few pictures with it and wow, a very nice lens. Very hard to take hand held pictures with my older lens as the combination of weight (all that hefty metal) and long effective focal length makes pictures very jittery, even with IS.