1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon FD 100mm 2.8 lens...Got scammed?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by silver92b, Feb 15, 2013.

1. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I found a sale on ebay for this Canon FD 100mm f2.8 US Navy lens for some cheap price so I ordered it. Well, it's like they said a brand new Canon FD 100mm 1:2.8 lens, *but*... The aperture ring is locked!? But the more frustrating thing is that the focusing ring is either locked or non-existent ?!?!
    I can see maybe a fixed aperture lens, but I never considered a fixed focus FD lens.. I wonder if I should try to return it or maybe try to fix it?

fd100mm2.8-1.

fd100mm2.8-2.

2. Papadoc

Papadoc Mu-43 Regular

Jul 12, 2012
    On the old Canon lenses those controls could be locked up by the connections on the rear end of the lens. You might try fooling around with some of the connections to see if you can unlock it. I doubt they would make a fixed-focus lens at f/2.8, even for the Navy.

3. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Surveillance - these lenses were glued/mechanically fixed to infinity and f2.8. Suggest you return it or keep as souvenir.

4. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Dang, do you think a qualified expert could make the focus and aperture operational again? The lens is brand new and if it's possible to make it usable for a reasonable sum, it might be worth the trouble.....

5. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It doesn't look like the aperature is locked at f2.8. Look at the first picture. Unless that's a reflection, it looks smaller than f2.8.

Silver92b, FD mount lenses are special. The aperature will appear not to work if it's not mounted on a body. If you look at the mount, there are two little tabs that get pushed in. You can push them in with a couple of tiny screwdrivers and then rotate the mount lock. Once it's rotated, the aperature should work. You'll have to rotate it back in order to mount it. If you have a FD-M43 adapter, the aperature should work once it's mounted on that. This aperature could indeed be locked at a certain setting, but I would make sure it just isn't the standard FD "lockout".

Just found some threads thread. Some US Navy lenses were locked, others weren't. If locked, it was at f8.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/canonfd/discuss/72157624815928738/
    http://photo.net/canon-fd-camera-forum/00N8TC

6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate all the input I get from my questions. I have found out about the FD lenses idiosyncrasy with the aperture. In this case, the aperture ring is locked in the full open setting. I verified it by mounting it on the AE-1 body and operating it in bulb mode. You can see the iris close to a very small opening when the shutter is cocked, but as soon as the shutter fires, the aperture goes back to wide open (1:2.8?). Also, you can see where the lens which is locked in an intermediate setting (like the other Canon DF lenses), goes to full open as you mount it on the body...

Anyway, the focusing is even more of a problem since I don't even see where the barrel is a separate piece from the body of the lens, although when looking with a loupe, you can see that the focusing barrel might just be separate from the rest of the lens but fixed in place somehow. I'll try to take a macro shot of it and post it.

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Here is a close-up of the lens. You can see the contour of the barrel. Also, the ring with the "10200" number is where I think the aperture markings should go.

fd100mm2.8-3.

8. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    According to this, it can be "fixed".

FA: Canon FD 100 mm 1:2.8 - US NAVY version (fixed focus)

Which seems to match the way it looks. It doesn't even looked like they changed much. You would think they would have replaced the knurled rings if they were making major changes.

How cheap was cheap? Might have to pick one up.

9. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks for the input. I actually had found that thread before but I could not figure out how to make the aperture ring work. It is definitely locked and behaves as I pointed out before. Using a solvent to free up the focus mechanism might be worth a try.... Cheap was like $28.50 shipped.....