Canon EOS-M Sale at B&H $299+

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
I've had this sitting in my Amazon cart all night and morning, but I just can't pull the trigger on it. I have to admit though, at this point the EOS-M kit is more of a curiosity than anything else.

The EOS M is like a GF5 with slower AF, better IQ and the 22mm is an excellent lens...equal to the 20mm f1.7 IMO. What you have with the $299 price and firmware update is a decent performing bargain of a kit.

Darthpnoy88

Mu-43 Regular
The EOS M is like a GF5 with slower AF, better IQ and the 22mm is an excellent lens...equal to the 20mm f1.7 IMO. What you have with the $299 price and firmware update is a decent performing bargain of a kit.

How slow is the autofocus ?? It seems the videos I've been watching it seems quicker with the new firmware update. I don't intend to shoot sports or kids or anything.

clockwork247

Mu-43 Regular
I've had this sitting in my Amazon cart all night and morning, but I just can't pull the trigger on it. I have to admit though, at this point the EOS-M kit is more of a curiosity than anything else.

sony nex 3n is 350 at frys instore pickup, that one comes with a 16-50 power zoom, flippy screen all the way for self portrait, it's another contender, we'll see these guys dropping in price soon, can't wait, mirrorless shouldn't costs a lot, they don't have a lot of parts.

zapatista

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Barber
How slow is the autofocus ?? It seems the videos I've been watching it seems quicker with the new firmware update. I don't intend to shoot sports or kids or anything.

It's pretty good now, but not in the same league as the most recent m43 bodies. More like Fuji fast...or lack thereof.

monk3y

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steven
When i was looking for a second camera I never looked at this since I found the E-PM2 + 14-42mm Kit lens for $330 Brand new :D

rnagoda

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Robert
Got mine. It came with the updated firmware ... smaller than my GX1 with the 20mm on it, solidly built. The touchscreen is really nice, which it had better be since it lacks the otherwise necessary manual control buttons and dials. Side by side the GX1 definitely looks more of "the business" whereas the EOS-M looks like a point-and-shoot compact. The lenses are the opposite - the Panny 20mm looks like the piece of plastic that it is whereas the Canon 22mm is a nice all-metal package. I didn't break out a ruler, but the two lenses are basically the same size.

I found 'M' mode and snapped off a few pics but haven't had a chance to look at them yet (except for on the camera screen where they looked great). Adjustments to shutter speed, aperture and ISO were ridiculously painless and I can see why they thought it okay to leave off the control buttons and knobs. The AF issues weren't immediately apparent but then again I didn't really put them to the test ... still, though, seems like it will be a fun camera, and it makes a sweet little package for $300.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks Robert.. I am quite optimistic and mine wont be in my hands till July 17th as I am out of town and no one is home either.I am gonna use it as glove box camera:thumbup:

Darthpnoy88

Mu-43 Regular
Got mine. It came with the updated firmware ... smaller than my GX1 with the 20mm on it, solidly built. The touchscreen is really nice, which it had better be since it lacks the otherwise necessary manual control buttons and dials. Side by side the GX1 definitely looks more of "the business" whereas the EOS-M looks like a point-and-shoot compact. The lenses are the opposite - the Panny 20mm looks like the piece of plastic that it is whereas the Canon 22mm is a nice all-metal package. I didn't break out a ruler, but the two lenses are basically the same size.

I found 'M' mode and snapped off a few pics but haven't had a chance to look at them yet (except for on the camera screen where they looked great). Adjustments to shutter speed, aperture and ISO were ridiculously painless and I can see why they thought it okay to leave off the control buttons and knobs. The AF issues weren't immediately apparent but then again I didn't really put them to the test ... still, though, seems like it will be a fun camera, and it makes a sweet little package for $300.

Where did you order yours mines is coming through B&H this Thursday?

rnagoda

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Robert
I am gonna use it as glove box camera:thumbup:

That's where mine will be! :cool:

Darthpnoy88 said:
Where did you order yours mines is coming through B&H this Thursday?

I ordered from B&H. Box came beat to hell as usual from them, but whatever, no damage to what was inside (seriously, though, am I the only one, or does B&H beat your package up with a baseball bat before sending it out????)

Anyway, I've had a chance to try the camera out a bit more - I love it. Grabbed some basic shots to try out the settings and loaded them up in Lightroom and - yes. Yes. Nice stuff happening here. Great lens, and I like the Canon look. For $299 I'm blown away. It's not a lightning-fast, locked-on focusing machine, but it focuses readily and won't hold most folks back (yeah, not a sports cam, but look at it: it's not a sports cam!)

PROS (so far):
- Great screen - looks great and responds well to touch, making adjustments easy.
- Standard USB cable. Stupid Panasonic and their stupid cables - not even the same between models! Dunno about Oly, but Panny sucks at cables!
- Live HDMI out! So sweet!
- Mic in! So sweet!
- 24p video - unexpected, and awesome!
- Great pictures - I know there's a lot of anti-DSLR sentiment around here, but the Canon's take great pics and so does this.

CONS (so far):
- Lack of manual controls (they are not necessary, but I like knobs and buttons myself)

That's really it.

Darthpnoy88

Mu-43 Regular
That's where mine will be! :cool:

I ordered from B&H. Box came beat to hell as usual from them, but whatever, no damage to what was inside (seriously, though, am I the only one, or does B&H beat your package up with a baseball bat before sending it out????)

Anyway, I've had a chance to try the camera out a bit more - I love it. Grabbed some basic shots to try out the settings and loaded them up in Lightroom and - yes. Yes. Nice stuff happening here. Great lens, and I like the Canon look. For $299 I'm blown away. It's not a lightning-fast, locked-on focusing machine, but it focuses readily and won't hold most folks back (yeah, not a sports cam, but look at it: it's not a sports cam!)

PROS (so far):
- Great screen - looks great and responds well to touch, making adjustments easy.
- Standard USB cable. Stupid Panasonic and their stupid cables - not even the same between models! Dunno about Oly, but Panny sucks at cables!
- Live HDMI out! So sweet!
- Mic in! So sweet!
- 24p video - unexpected, and awesome!
- Great pictures - I know there's a lot of anti-DSLR sentiment around here, but the Canon's take great pics and so does this.

CONS (so far):
- Lack of manual controls (they are not necessary, but I like knobs and buttons myself)

That's really it.

You should let B&H know about it maybe they can at least refund you on shipping unless of course you choose the free shipping method.

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Thanks a lot for quick and useful update .Its not a DSLR and there are no anti-DSLR sentiments here . It all comes down to basic economics of price vs performance . At this price it's a hard deal to beat in in MFT world. EPM2 with 14 mm 2.5 lens will cost u around USD600 . As long as u don't plenty of lenses .. I think this a superb deal .
Cheers
Bhupinder

Halaking

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Morris
Anyone who already had the camera, how is size of the focus point? I saw many review videos on youtube that show very big focus point, are these large focus point accurate? take portrait pictures with sharp eyes? thanks!

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
I ordered mine yesterday. It was back-ordered but the expected "availability" is July 11. We'll see.

We do not have an "anti-DSLR" sentiment on this forum. DSLRs are clearly the work of the Devil and we just have the intelligence to recognize it.:evilsmile:

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I ordered mine yesterday. It was back-ordered but the expected "availability" is July 11. We'll see.

We do not have an "anti-DSLR" sentiment on this forum. DSLRs are clearly the work of the Devil and we just have the intelligence to recognize it.:evilsmile:

So it should b renamed as Devil Single Lens Reflex camera? :wink::wink:

DynaSport

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dan
Yeah, but it's not $299 anymore, although you can get it with the flash for $399 and the flash is $99, so basically the same if you wanted the flash anyway. I missed it when it was $299. I would have been really tempted to buy one at that price since I have several EOS lenses I could easily adapt to if I wanted. But I think I just want it with the 22. Ok, and maybe the 18-55, but probably just the 22.

Latest threads

Top Bottom