1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon EOS-M Sale at B&H $299+

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by leungw, Jul 3, 2013.

1. audiodrive

audiodrive Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Prairies
    jef
    Thanks, however, the Link is not working...

2. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    Updated links. Looks like this forum broke the original links when it tried to add the affiliated stuffs.

3. ptolemyx

ptolemyx Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 19, 2012
    Vancouver, BC
    Ben
    Wow .. a ~35mm equivalent APSC camera for $300 ?

4. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Surprising that Canon charges $50 less for a good fast prime wide-normal lens than they do for a crappy kit zoom.

Rather notable though is that the reviews basically rip this camera, despite it having excellent IQ. Here's PC Magazine's review, which touts the Panny G5 (Their Editor's Choice), Oly E-PL5, and Sony NEX-5R as all being much better cameras.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2416802,00.asp

5. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    I think I kind of have to give this thing a try now, don't I?

Edit: I went ahead and picked one up - at that price it's tough to argue with and that 22 f/2 is supposed to be a pretty decent lens. Amazon has used adapters for EF lenses for around $80 .... the only thing I wish it had was a vewfinder. I'll try it out for a few days and if I like it, awesome, I can use my EF lenses on this like I've wanted to on my GX1/GH2 and I can maybe stop investing in two systems just to have a nice little carry-around!

6. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    I believe the initial firmware had major issue with AF speed.

Plus there aren't any choice in lens. To use the non-M mount lens, you need to buy an adapter that's $100+.

However, to use it as a fixed-lens camera with the 22mm prime lens, $299 is a good deal.

7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    To me, it would make sense if you already had an investment in Canon's EF lenses, but otherwise, I don't see what it brings to the table compared to M4/3 or Sony NEX

8. leungw

leungw Deal Hunter

May 26, 2011
    NJ
    Willy
    FYI, not my listing, but the adapter, new, is $90 on eBay.

New Canon EF EOS M Mount Adapter Ring for EOS EF EFS Lens to Canon EOS M Camera | eBay

Also, if you end up not liking the camera, Amazon is taking used ones for $278 (in Amazon gift certificate) at the moment. :smile:

Remember to update firmware. There's a new one that was just released a few days ago that's supposed to correct AF issue.

9. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    That's three awesome heads ups - the last one I knew about but not the first two - thanks!

10. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
  11. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    I've heard that the latest firmware update has greatly improved the AF.

12. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It has. It's gone from glacial to merely muddy.

"Is autofocus performance improved in terms of speed? Yes, it is better. Is it a lot better (as in NEX-5n better)? No, but it is Fuji X better. An NEX-5n or OM-D will still kick its butt around the corner and I won’t even talk about the size of the can of whup-ass the RX100 would open on it."

EOS-M New Firmware | The Photo Video Guy

13. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Which of those costs $300 with a good fast prime?

More to the point, how would this compare to a GX1 or GF3 or E-PL3 with the 14mm lens? Those combos within the Micro 4/3 system could be gotten for $400 or less. It doesn't really prove anything to compare it to a fixed lens camera that costs twice as much, or interchangeable lens cameras that cost 3 times as much.

14. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Same price at Adorama. As with the LX7 it rolled out at one and then appeared to spread to others. In reality it was an offical Panasonic price reduction and different companies just update prices at different times. I'm thinking that as widespread this is, like with Panasonic it's an official Canon price reduction. Whether it's temprorary or permanent is to be seen.

To those who need instant gratification. Best Buy will price match anyone and everyone at a drop of a hat these days. It's there strategy to defeat showrooming. So if you have a Best Buy with it in stock, you can get it there right now at this price.

15. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Does it matter if it takes too long to focus so that you miss the shot? Remember, the kit zoom was the lens that got the bulk of the speed increase. The 22mm less so. Even with the new firmware it still may not focus in low light. Still $300 makes this a reasonable alternative to other mirrorless cameras. Although I would still lean towards a NEX 3N with the pancake zoom for $100 more. The EOS M with kit zoom is the same price as the NEX F3 with kit zoom.

The big reason to get this camera is if you have a bunch of EF lenses. Pickup a 3rd party adapter for cheap and then you can use them with the EOS M with AF.

16. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    Precisely why I jumped on it ... I like my GX1 well enough but if I needed fast and accurate AF it was never the camera I grabbed, so as a GX1 replacement it will likely do just fine and this costs less than a GX1+14mm and certainly less than a GX1 plus 20mm which is closer in quality/FL to the 22mm included with the EOS-M.

Moreoever as a backup film kit this has some promise - and it has what the GX1 didn't, that being the ability to monitor through the HDMI while filming. The Magic Lantern hack promises focus peaking, which will be very cool.

I can't wait for Monday (expected delivery date). :2thumbs:

17. lenshoarder

Nov 7, 2010
    Funny. The price at Amazon for the zoom kit is $350. The trade in value is $359.65. So you can buy it and immediately sell it back to Amazon and make $10.

18. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I can talk myself into almost any camera, especially if there is a hot deal. But the EOS M seems to be an exception to that rule. I just don't want a camera that appears destined to be something of a complete frustration. Cheap doesn't matter. If I want frustration I can talk to my wife. For free.