1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon EOS-M Now Official

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Amin Sabet, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)

Attached Files:

2. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Fresh out of the gate and already better lenses than NEX.

(I'm being partly facetious, but I'd prefer that 22/2.0 over any NEX offerings).

• Like Like x 1
  3. smokinfastlegend

smokinfastlegend New to Mu-43

Jul 22, 2012
    There are many more pics available. The adapter for other lenses looks pretty interesting.

4. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Although I'm not very interested in the camera- I am envious of that pancake lens + focal length.

5. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    First report I found on autofocus performance was from the German language site futurezone.at: Technology-News

Google translated text:

Source: Hands-On mit Canons erster Systemkamera EOS M | Produkte | futurezone.at: Technology-News

The 650D Live View AF is dog slow by MFT standards. Fortunately, a much more promising hands on account comes from PC World Australia:

I like this camera in white:

7627455514_403ba812b9_o.

6. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Purely from a design perspective, I like the simple lines and curves of this camera. However, as I've mentioned in another thread, I think it will be pretty unwieldy if it were coupled with an EF zoom without a proper handgrip. The US$799 price point is also a bit of a surprise to me for an E-PM1 type body...

7. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Price feels high to me as well. But glad to see the 22/2 as it hopefully means more pancakes from Canon. And in turn, a 17/1.8 from Olympus or panasonic =)

8. drewbot

drewbot Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    $249 for the 22 mm. Not bad.

$199 for the EF to EF-M adapter - perhaps they should throw this in as a rebate to get some initial hype going for it.

I must admit that I am partial to APS because of its 3:2 ratio which I prefer more than 4:3. The downside is size inefficiency of an image circle - as shown by NEX and now EF-M.

We'll see how long it'll take Canon to release a 60D / 7D equivalent EF-M body. It did take Olympus some time to release the E-M5 into the wild.

9. jyap

jyap Mu-43 Regular

May 16, 2011
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I mentioned this on the other thread but looking at the kit zoom size in the body... Nikon made the right move to reduce the sensor size.

10. tdekany

tdekany Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 8, 2011
    Oregon
    I would never buy a camera without a viewfinder. Happy with the G3 :)

My next body will be an OMD, or if I was to buy APS-C, A NEX7

The body looks so so to me. I am sure it will be a nice camera, but not for me.

11. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    looks like a great camera... but i like/need buttons and wheels. i dont know whats the whole thing with touch screens and menus inside menus. I use the menus when at home to set up my camera, but when "im on the field" ill stick to the very basics and to the reach of my finger, aperture, shutter speed, iso, wb, period.

12. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I like the simple understated styling. Their pro-sumer compact Gx and S90/95/100's have always rocked a kind of imperial stormtrooper aesthetic that I find appealing (ditto the GF1).

Not so sure about the price and target market - people might compare it unfavourably to an E-PM1 or GF5 or low end NEX's.

It'll definitely be interesting to see how the line evolves.

All this competition is good for the market too :)

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    This video shows very slow autofocus performance:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPyhM2x9gT8&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Canon Eos M hands on - YouTube[/ame]

On the positive side, it looks like Canon has designed some nice leather half cases which augment the grip and will be available in multiple colors.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    It's a simple start; plain and simple. We really shouldn't have expected a lot more than that anyway. I have a feeling the system will flesh out very nicely. I am tempted to pick one up with the 22mm pancake and use it as a walk around.... That's a great focal length and the aperture is good. Will wait to read reviews on IQ and focus speed, though, at the very least. I too prefer the 3:2 aspect.

Thankfully Canon is finally in the mirrorless world. I'm sure there will be many very interesting and appealing future mirrorless products from Canon, as well as from Pany and Oly. The next shoe to drop is likely to be the GH3. I'm looking forward to seeing what that brings... focus peaking perhaps? :wink:

15. ksn

ksn Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 6, 2011
    I'm invested in m4/3 but damn, that camera is sexy. Love the styling, especially around the shutter button.

16. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think they priced it to compete with the NEX 5N. It seems to slot in as a direct competitor.

17. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I'm envious of the field of view at that focal length - faster 35mm equivalent is the thing I'm missing.

I'm thoroughly underwhelmed by this initial offering. No exciting AF technology, a very unexciting (if nicely styled, no surprise there) body and almost pure touchscreen control interface. Which is simply never going to be as fast as (a pair of) dedicated dials.

If/when they release something more interesting, and/or phase detect AF, and very much depending on glass offerings, I may be tempted to add an EOS-M, mostly for a non-DSLR sized body to use with a select number of Canon L glass. But for now there's really nothing that beats MFT as a system (or the E-M5 as a camera).

• Like Like x 1
  18. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    I assume it will badly compromise the IQ at the border of the frame when equipped native lens, and it's not supposed to be able to beat the NEX; however with the brand, adapted EF and EF-S lenses and future improvements it could work. And I have to admit that Nikon 1 system is much more pretty!

and that is the point!!

19. smartwombat

smartwombat Mu-43 Regular

Jul 16, 2012
    This is not the Canon I am looking for, not quite.
    But the price of that EOS EF - EF-M converter looks good.
    Better than $500 for a redrock EF to micro four thirds converter.
    I'll wait for the lens lineup to be announced before I make my mind up, but this raises the stakes for the micro four thirds manufacturers.
    Now when they launch an OMD equivalent in a year or so's time, that will be interesting.

20. cookme

cookme Mu-43 Regular

May 25, 2012
    Agree. I always have a hard time seeing the LCD touch/screen clearly in moderately bright daylight. I would never spend ~800 USD on a camera with touchscreen-only controls.