Canon EOS M for $349 with 22mm lens - Newegg

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by demiro, May 26, 2013.

1. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    LINK

Helluva a deal, I guess, but I just can't make myself care about this camera.

2. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Hmmm... if you just keep the 22mm lens on it, it might be a nice alternative to the Coolpix A or Ricoh GR at a fraction of the price. A bit bulkier because of the lens, but for someone looking for an APS-C fixed lens compact camera on a budget...

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    For sure!

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
  5. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    It's a small little thing. :)

Though the 17mm or 14mm would be a better match for the 22mm's price and FOV, even if they are slower.

6. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Im tempted by this, but there are only a few reviews and they ding it badly for its AF performance. Anyone here ever use one?

7. I have a certain affinity for Canon products, but I think that this one is still someway off being ready for the bigtime.

8. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    The slow AF is probably the biggest downfall of this camera. Here it is compared to the E-M5:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pbZ1d6RWDug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

9. uci2ci

uci2ci Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 22, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Sam
    Wow, AF aside, the image review is atrociously slow. Two long screen blackouts!?.......its like pulling teeth.

10. Steven

Steven Mu-43 All-Pro

May 25, 2012
    USA
    So, it's being cleared out like that Pentax, huh. I guess for someone who is not wedded to a specific system this could be a good way to get compact with great quality.
    I only thought about it briefly before reminding myself that I would probably be better off with something like EPM2+14mm lens.

11. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    PM2 isn't much more expensive (was $424 last time I checked), much faster AF, bigger lens selection, built in IS, etc...

Though the EOS M has a bigger APS-C sensor, it's an old sensor design (dating back to ~2009, as it first showed up in the EOS 7D) and is outperformed by the 16MP Sony sensor in the E-M5/E-PL5/E-PM2. Kind of sad for Canon, as the Micro 4/3 sensor has just half the actual surface area but outperforms the bigger Canon sensor in terms of noise and dynamic range.

12. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Don't fret yet....
    Canon is supposed to be coming out with a new EOS-M body later in this summer. Perhaps this upcoming Canon body & sensor will outperform Micro Four Thirds for you :smile:

13. hookgrip

hookgrip Mu-43 Regular

May 21, 2013
    I would sure hope so! I've been a Canon FF user for several years, and seeing the lack of progress on their APS-C sensors is a bit sad.

14. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Don
    Canon is (finally) on the mirrorless road, but they do have quite a few miles to catch up on before squashing the m4/3 bug... I'm thinking it will be a couple/few years, yet, and a couple more body re-ups, before that is likely. Meantime, with our lens choices and the most recent updates of bodies and upcoming GX2, we've got a pretty sweet system to enjoy image making with.

15. madogvelkor

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    Price is the big attraction to the M right now. At $349 you're looking at something in the same range as a 1/1.7" sensor compact. You could get a Fujifilm XF1 or X10 for a bit more.

Probably the closest in price and capability right now would be one of the GX1 bodies they're clearing out along with a used 14mm or 17mm pancake.

16. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    The 22mm is a really great lens and the zoom is very as well (compares well to the 14-45mm). Good value for the money, though the combo might be $299 in a month...quien sabe.

17. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    The real world focus time should be slower than in the video, in video tested with white background is much easier to focus for CDAF, many user's reviews showed sometime it took few seconds locked.

18. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

:2thumbs:Thanks mate but it has gone back to USD599