1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon EOS M Dissapointment

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Brandon Weaver, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Brandon Weaver

Brandon Weaver Mu-43 Regular

Feb 2, 2013
    Cincinnati (Northern Kentucky)
    Brandon Weaver
    When I started researching for my first camera at the end of last year, I quickly settled on mirrorless technology. SLR's, with their ridiculous flange distances, seem antiquated, in compare. The Canon EOS M and GH3 had recently been released, and both rose to the top of my list. Video was/is an important priority for me, so the GH3 won out. The Pan/Leica 25mm and Voigtlander 17.5 came soon after.

I'm just now starting to do work that requires multi-camera shoots. With the plummeting price of the Canon EOS M, I couldn't resist. And, honestly, there is truly something about Canon glass that I find myself always chasing. I love my GH3 setup, but it's a different animal.

So, the EOS M arrived today, paired with the 18-55mm kit lens, and I couldn't wait to put them through the paces. The more shots I took, the more disappointed I became. The problem... I've been incredibly spoiled by fast primes. I couldn't fire off any shots indoors without painfully high iso's or scary low shutter speeds.

The Canon kit lens is an f3.5-5.6. Honestly, I rarely venture up that high on my PL 25mm or Voigtlander - sometimes when I'm outdoors in good daylight. Otherwise, I live below f3. In truth, my Canon disappointment isn't with the EOS M, or even the 18-55mm. I suppose the real disappointment is that I'm addicted to fast primes, and will have to be "investing" in an EF-M to EF adaptor (in the mail) and some L glass in the near future.

2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Why didn't you get the EOS-M with the 22m ƒ2.0 lens :confused:

3. Brandon Weaver

Feb 2, 2013
    Brandon Weaver
    $309 vs. $399. I almost purchased the 22mm separately, but I decided to wait for a deal. The other thing is I'm covered on the wide side with my MFT lenses.

4. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    Other than the slow kit lens (which is always the case with kit lenses, no matter the camera), how are you liking the camera?

I am really, really tempted to pick up an EOS-M with 22mm for a second, dedicated 35mm FOV camera.

5. Brandon Weaver

Feb 2, 2013
    Brandon Weaver
    Yeah. I do like it so far. My only other experience is with a GH3, so I don't have a lot to go on. Compared to the GH3, it took a minute to get used to adjusting all the settings on a touch screen. The scroll wheels/dials on the GH3 allow for much faster dialing in of shots/settings. But the menus on the EOS M are very intuitive, and can be accessed relatively quick.

I almost always shoot manual focus, so the slow autofocus doesn't bother me a bit. I can't remember the last time I turned on autofocus on my GH3. I just prefer the feel and experience of manual focus... and pulling focus is currently essential with video. Even when continuous auto focus catches up to work well with video, there are plenty of artistic reasons to use manual focus.

Anyway, the photos definitely have the Canon color rendering I'm so fond of. The EOS M gives me a way to achieve that, without waiting for the Metabones Speedbooster MFT to EF (which I plan on purchasing when it's released).

One thing that surprised me about the EOS M is the size. I ordered the camera online, and had never held one. This camera is tiny compared to the GH3. That, obviously, has it's advantages (and disadvantages). Personally, holding the GH3 feels a lot better/more ergonomic. It's going to feel silly having big lenses on the EOS M. I don't mind that, though. The image quality is there, for sure.

For the current price of the EOS M, I wouldn't hesitate picking one up. I couldn't pull the trigger at the beginning of the year, when they were $600 or more.

One questions I have is, will Canon be making any new EF-M lenses.? Even if they don't, with this camera and an adaptor you have access to the entire line EF glass. You can't beat that for $300.

Also, Magic Lantern has already started developing hacks for the EOS M. This opens up all kinds of possibilities.

I hope that's helpful. As I use the camera more, I'll try and update my thoughts on it.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    In curious, with such nice m4/3 primes, why you decided against m4/3 for your second body?

It seems like you're going to have to start from the ground up all over again with the eos m system.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Your complaint makes no sense, because the same thing would happen with a similar, slow zoom on the GH3. Slow shutter speeds and high ISO's is because of the lens, not the camera. Your disappointment should be with the person who made the poorly informed purchase.

8. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

Personally I'm not sure I understand your issue either. Put primes on the Canon and compare eggs with eggs.

Are there adapters for the legacy lenses?

You got that right :)

9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The 22 is a very nice lens, fast and sharp. If you can, you might want to exchange your kit for the one with the 22.

10. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    :cool: I've never heard a deep flange distance described as ridiculous and seemingly antiquated! :biggrin:

You need a sony RX1, I hear it has almost no distance between lens and sensor.

11. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Every time I see photos taken with the Canon EOS M, I think it takes very nice pictures. And I came very close to buying one myself, at the recent prices. But in the end I decided to stay with one system, and clearly the better system for me is u4/3. There is a better selection of lenses by far (not counting the adapted Canon lenses the M can use, but they are too big and the main reason I switched.) I am happy with my choice, but I do still like Canon's colors quality.

12. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    In addition to what's already been said, and as a satisfied EOS-M owner/user, let me say that you probably want to rethink the notion of investing in a lot of glass for it until you see how slow the AF is with adapted EF lenses. It's slower than the already slow AF (even with the firmware upgarde), and not likely worth spending the money on L glass specifically for.

I bought the EOS-M for specific reasons and for those reasons it works very well. Static shots, video, etc.. And I already have plenty of EF glass to go with my full-frame rig, so being able to occasionally mount that on the EOS-M is fine, but I wouldn't spend a dime on a lens specifically for the M, except for the 22mm f/2, which I already have.

I was shooting my EOS-M with a Tamron 70-200 VC lens last night and it performed very well ... unless my subject moved in which case I may as well not have had a camera with me. Just keep that in mind.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Brandon Weaver

Feb 2, 2013
    Brandon Weaver
    You guys are hilarious. The post was a self observation, with the title for intrigue. Perhaps it should read "Canon EOS M. Disappointment." There is no issue (except, perhaps, being spoiled by great lenses). The purchase was not poorly informed. I don't even intend to keep the kit lens. I could sell it for ~$150, making my cost for the body $160. Crazy deal! And I would have purchased the 22mm and been happier, had it made economic sense to do so.

To agentlossing, the intent is to start acquiring longer Canon glass that can be used with the EOS M or MFT with speed booster (when available). I don't have the need to use MFT lenses on the EOS M, even if it were possible (although that could be interesting). As to other reasons why not a second MFT body... I don't feel I could have purchased an MFT body that would yield better video for basically $160. Given a larger budget, and availability of the MFT to EF Speedbooster, a second GH3 would be ideal, or perhaps an EM1... there will be a second MFT body, and more, much more, MFT glass, sometime in my future. :biggrin:

Bottom line is that I really like the feel that Canon lenses gives a photo or video, but love the functionality/price point/size/robustness, amongst many other things, of MFT. I do love the MFT lenses I have, but they seem to yield a much more journalistic (that's probably the best adjective) rendition - I don't have, and haven't used any Olympus lenses, but from the photos I've seen, the rendering seems more similar to Canon than Panasonic/Leica/Voigtlander. By the way, this is all anecdotal. I may have a totally different take on it in a year. To me, more lenses, and varying lenses, or for that matter more and varying bodies, give more brushes to paint a story with.

By the way, as it says under my name, I am a rookie. I truly appreciate all you veterans and seasoned photographers chiming in with your wisdom. It's much appreciated, and taken to heart.

14. burdickjp

burdickjp Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2013
    Have you shot an Olympus? They are famous for their colors.

15. Brandon Weaver

Feb 2, 2013
    Brandon Weaver
    I've strongly considered Olympus, and have been looking at the 75mm and 45mm. My biggest concern is lack of image stabilization at the longer focal length when mounted on the GH3. Not the end of the world. If the right deal comes up on either lens, I'll be making that happen. And to your question, no, as of yet I have not shot with Olympus. I look forward to doing so. Thanks.

16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    Yes, I have an E-PM1 and I do like the Olympus colors. But liking the Olympus colors does not make me like the Canon colors less. I have heard some criticize Canon colors for being over saturated and bright, and that it is the unwashed that like that look. Well, I guess I am part of that because I like them. Actually, I am ok with the Panasonic colors as well, but I do actually like the Olympus colors better. I just like the Panasonic handling better. But then my Olympus experience has been limited to the E-PM1. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I had used an EP-3 or 5 or the EM-5. I just know I can change settings on my Panasonic so much quicker and it feels more comfortable in my hands. The E-PM1 is great for casual shooting where things aren't moving too much and I have plenty of time. But when things get a bit fast it only frustrates me. I tried to shoot some birds at a feeder one time and I missed shot after shot. Maybe it was me, but I got next to nothing. I have had much better luck with my G5.

Anyway, back on topic. I wouldn't mind the M with the 22 and use it like others do the Fuji X100. But I'd probably just get the 17 1.8 (even though it costs more than the Canon and lens) just so I didn't have even another set of controls to remember how to use.

17. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    Mike
    You can get the 22mm for under $130 (new) on ebay. Please show me an equivalent pancake for a mirrorless system for anywhere near that price and quality. Well, outside of a used Sigma 19/30mm lenses.

18. afrat

afrat Mu-43 Regular

Aug 21, 2013
    Los Angeles
    I'm buying one of these camera today and will be comparing it to the Panasonic G5. It's too damn intriguing to me.

19. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Sorry Brandon, you're the one that's "hilarious." You buy a camera with a slow lens, then come online to complain you have to use high ISO indoors. Duh! What did you expect? If you didn't know that would happen, you should be spending more time and money learning the craft of photography, instead of buying more equipment. If you did know that would happen, why are you complaining about it?

There are lots of reasons to be disappointed in Canon's mirrorless effort, but the slow kit lens isn't one of them. Every system has slow kit lenses. A better title for the post might be "disappointment with slow kit lens."

20. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The M has been a camera of much discussion. Its combination of good and bad coupled with a bargain price has presented many with a difficult choice. I have noticed, however, that those who got the 22 kit are more likely to land on the plus side.