1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

COMPLETED Canon eos 5d

Discussion in 'Completed Listings' started by avidone, Feb 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    OK, OK, don't shoot me!

I have not given up on mu43 yet, but at the same time I am getting into using my old m42 lenses on my 20d and was thinking of upgrading to a full format Canon. I cannot afford a new 5D mkII, so I have started looking around for a 5D (mk I) in decent condition that still has some life left in it.

Hoping maybe someone on the board (preferably in the European Union somewhere, so as to avoid customs fees) has one lying around they would be willing to part with at a reasonable price.

Let me know

thanks,
    Asher

2. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro

0   0   0

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    Just a heads up... Canon will release the 5DmkIII later this week. That MAY bring the prices down a bit (eventually at least). :wink:

3. timallenphoto

timallenphoto Mu-43 Veteran

0   0   0

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    You won't regret it Asher, I have a Mk1 and paired with the Canon 50m 1.4 it's a stunning camera, amazing considering it came out in 2005.

4. avidone

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    thanks, yeah, I read that the mark3 and/or 5dX should be out soon; not sure if I am patient enough to wait for the prices to decrease enough; anyway, the more reliable rumours seem to indicate that the model released is likely to be more of an "update" than a big upgrade

anyway, we'll see; if I don't run across a good enough deal on a 5dmk1 in good enough shape, I will have to wait anyway

5. avidone

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Thanks for the encouragement, Tim. Clearly YOU got some great shots out of that combo, as I see on your website. I am already quite happy with what I am getting out of my 20d with legacy lenses. Unfortunately I cannot afford to also get the 50/1.4 EF right now; may have to start with a 1.8 to have one auto focus lens; sadly my favourite legacy 50 (Yashinon DX 1.4) is said to be incompatible with Canon FF cameras, since it pokes back a few mm on infinity focus.

Anyway, I am already trolling EBay and the Italian forums to try and find a nice used 5D, but despite the good results it can obviously give, my main worry is the actual condition a used camera that age might be in. I hoped perhaps someone here might have one to sell and be more clear about the shape it is in. SO far no response, though.

6. avidone

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    Maybe it is just passing GAS. No one replied and I am waffling a bit now. maybe I will just get a refurb 550d for better resolution and high ISO then wait until I can afford a 5d mk2. Have my eye on some lenses as well, so no sense to go broke on an unknown used camera which may or may not be in good shape.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App

7. timallenphoto

0   0   0

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    For me the best thing about FF is that a 50 is a 50 and not an 80, apart from that I think it's something people lust after because it's there and is "better", just like an M9. I'd be surprised if a 550D for example didn't at least match a 5D I for high ISO due to it being so much newer. Thanks for the compliment by the way :)

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

0   0   0

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Ash- i think you'd be better off with an OM-D.

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I have a 5DII and really debated ditching the whole system when the OM-D was announced - I went so far as to pre-order an OM-D body in each color. Upon further reflection, I decided there is just something about shooting with a full frame sensor that I couldn't give up even though I use my E-PL1 much more frequently and therefore cancelled my preorders for the OM-D.

Prior to the 5DII, I had a 350D which as I recall is much like your 20D. It took great photos, but I was unhappy with the small LCD, the small viewfinder for MF lenses and the limitation of ISO 1600. I figured that if I was going to upgrade my camera body, I would really upgrade and the only path that made sense to me was to get a 5D (I had no EF-S glass mind you so that wasn't a concern). At the time 5Ds were going for around $1000, but Canon has the deal where you can send in any old Canon SLR and get 20% off a refurbished camera so I sent them my non-functioning EOS650 and got a 5DII. It ended up being more money but In my mind it was money well spent because of the advances the 5DII brought to the table. I think you'd be impressed with the difference between shooting with a crop sensor and a full-frame Canon, I know I was. I'm not sure what 550Ds go for these days, but maybe you're better off just using the 20D until you can afford the 5DII if that's what you really want - the 5D is certainly no slouch though, even in this day and age (provided you don't care about video).

10. avidone

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    thanks for the dialogue, guys; it is really helping me to try and focus the GAS pains--

@Tim-- I realize that I probably get caught up too much in the "look" of FF pics I see because of shallow DOF (which realistically also might mean more difficulty getting good focusing with my legacy glass) and also that expectation that it just HAS to be better. The reality for me is that I do not do so many portrait shots after all, and am more concerned with being able to get good results from my legacy lenses, sometimes in low available light. From what I see online, probably overall the 550d/T2i/Kiss X4 (why all the bloody silly names?) would suit me better. The "50 is a 50, not an 85" thing is less important to me, because I was away from serious cameras so long that the "feel" for that was not retained my 35mm film years. For that matter, I was a poor student in high school/university and mostly only ever used a 50mm. But I would like the ability to get wider angles from shorter focal length lenses. Again, it might be better to concentrate on getting good lenses for this instead of the FF body.

@Gary-- the problem with the OM-D EM-5 LMNOPQRST is that if I could afford it (especially at European prices), I could also afford, or nearly so, a good refurb or used 5dmk2... and of course, have to WAIT! Though maybe once I start to see real world results from it, I will change my mind. I have really drifted into "taint" land about my Pen(s) lately. For moving around town, the weight difference is not enough to care and I honestly don't feel they are any more stealthy than the Canon, though my 20d does have a damn loud mirror flap/shutter if anything, at least living in a tourist town, DSLR's are the more "normal" thing for people to see and ignore. If I want real stealth, I palm my GR-D and silently shoot from the waist.

@ean-- I have to admit that the teeny 1.8" LCD on the 20d is the thing that niggles me the most. So often I glance and think I have caught a good shot, then at home find out later it was not sharp. It probably has slightly better VF than the 350d because of pentaprism instead of pentamirror, but for sure the 5d mk1 or 2 must blow it away there. The bigger LCD and possibility of Live View would be nice, though I don't give a flit about video nor about built-in "special effects" modes.

trying to pull back here a bit and wait for the right deal to show up. Refurb. and new grey-market cameras are available from several places in the UK. Last week I could have got a t2i body for around euro360; now the lowest is around euro420, with a refurb t3i at around euro445. 5d mk1's are going from around 650 to 850 and of course these are pretty old cameras with unknown reliability and no guarantee.

I do after all get some pretty good pics with the 20d and legacy lenses; would just like to throw away fewer, catch them easier and maybe make good ones in lower light

6917190167_bdf4039159_b.
    Reflections by Asher Berry, on Flickr
    6943300617_f173b78bf8_b.
    Emergency Pharmacy by Asher Berry, on Flickr
    6797184106_e0f64c5099_b.
    Traffic Light by Asher Berry, on Flickr
    6780038166_d727dcdcaf_b.
    Fun fur by Asher Berry, on Flickr

11. timallenphoto

0   0   0

May 20, 2011
    Kent, England
    One more comment, the screen on the 5D is just as bad as on my 30D, I wouldn't trust it for checking sharpness. Though strangely M9 owners seem to gloss over their similarly awful screen ;)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Asher, are you familiar with Canon's Photography on the Net forum? They have a ton of classifieds, and clean 5Ds are very frequently available in the $800-$1000 range. I've bought and sold many items there. You will have to register to view the classifieds.
    Canon Digital Photography Forums - Powered by vBulletin

I have myself been using the same 5D for about six years and have been very happy with it. Many think the quality of files from the 5D has still not been surpassed by any later cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

0   0   0

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Ash- I still say wait for the OM-D. You know I've had a 5D for a long, long, time and I feel similar as Dave Jenkins (above).

I feel the difference in IQ isn't all that significant between the 5D and newer cameras. I also feel that for most of us the difference in sensor size is mental. It is comforting knowing that you're shooting with a sensor the same size as film. When I was shooting with an APS-C sensor and a FF sensor I quickly realized that main difference was focal length. On the APS-C camera when I wanted to go wide, I had to dip way down into the small numbers focal length-wise ... when I wanted to go long with the FF camera I had to reach into the really high numbers focal length-wise.

Generally, for the stuff most of us shoot, if you have the glass, the sensor size on your better cameras doesn't matter IQ-wise. (DOF yeah ... IQ, not so much.)

Gary

• Like Like x 1
  14. avidone

0   0   0

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    well, guys, thanks again for the input-- this has turned more into an ongoing discussion of the relative merits (EXCEPT for the fact that since it is a want ad, I can only reply every >8 hours)

Dave, thanks for the link-- looks to be an interesting forum, though rather US-centric and not as friendly as this one. I think the guy who started it may be the same one who has lots of interesting test shots with legacy lenses (esp. Russian) , mounted on Canon DLSRs, somewhere else online which have been very helpful for me

Gary, I think I will do my best to wait and see, though I am still skeptical about OM-D and the rest of mu4/3 for my legacy-lens uses, especially. The 5d classic does seem to make lovely images at lower ISO's, but then so does the 20d. What I guess I really wish I could do is get the 5Dmk2, so maybe if I save up a bit and wait a bit until prices come down (the mk3 was announced last night, or rather earlier today in Japan). Higher ISO usability is one thing I am most looking for, plus usability with manual legacy lenses. The 5d seems to be pretty even with the 20d on that. The 550d/600d/60d/7d seem to give more or less the same result, and quite close to 5dmk2 with about 2 stops more usability than the 20d at high ISO, from what I see trolling Flickr. I have discovered another plus on all these models except 7d, that they support an add-on firmware called Magic Lantern which is mostly geared to video users, but has many other useful customization features and also focusing aids such as FOCUS PEAKING! Yeah! So if I see a good enough deal on the 550d or 600d soon, I may grab it to keep me (somewhat) satisfied until I can afford to go at least 5dmk2 (or OM-D if it does better than I expect)

As for the FF sensor size, I am less programmed internally for that, and there are pluses and minuses for reduced DOF. After all APS-C and 4/3 sensors do pretty well in that arena, if you use them right.

I also used a Minox C for awhile in High School/University-- image size I think 8x11mm-- guess something like the Nikon 1 would be closer to it, eh?
    ;-)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.