Canon EOS 40D opinions, please

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by SRHEdD, Feb 1, 2012.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Some Canon guy, help me out here... There are times I could use a DSLR's capabilities. Not often, but enough to weigh buying this and a couple key lenses to keep on hand. According to reviews, this was a really good balance of performance and price. PM me with your thoughts, I was a Nikon guy since digital hit. Prior to that I did shoot EOS for a while in the EOS1n days. It seems this is on par with a Nikon D300 or so.

2. nrowensby

nrowensby Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2012
    Columbia, SC
    IMO, The 40D is Canon's E-PL2 -- There are some features it lacks from the newer cameras, but most aren't really significant enough for an upgrade (ie: Microadjustments/Video) -- That being said, it is, by far, the best bang for buck Canon DSLR on the used market right now.

3. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Okay haters... I downloaded the test jpegs from preview.com for this camera and my E-P3. The E-P3 looks better. Now this wasn't meant to be a replacement, just another tool on the wall, but it still surprised me. The smaller sensor plus a few years of sensor technology advancement are apparently making up the size differential.

MOD... is there a way to split this over to a new thread outside of classifieds?

4. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    Under good conditions, M4/3 IQ seems to almost equal or sometimes exceed APS-C IQ. The bigger difference in IQ is in marginal conditions - images that need correction, like underexposed images.

The biggest difference in general is the handling - substantially faster AF as contrast conditions worsen and the availability of an optical viewfinder while shooting a sequence.

The other big difference is in the availability of fast zooms. I expect that the next gen of M4/3 bodies will improve AF as processing gets faster (if AF motors can keep up!), aznd the next gen of fast zooms will be 2.8 or so. This will change the picture substantially.

• Like Like x 1
  5. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    I just sold my 40D to complete the move to M-4/3.

I haven't owned a lot of DSLR's but the 40D was probably my favorite. I couldn't see much reason to upgrade to the 60D. The 7D maybe but that's significantly more expensive.

What I liked about the 40D
    - Ergonomically very good, maybe perfect.
    - Super fast 6fps
    - Access to a universe of the very best lenses

What I didn't like
    - It's huge

There's really nothing to dislike about the thing, except that it's so big I often just left it at home.

I have a G3 that equals it in image quality but not speed or ease of operation. I would rather use the 40D but I'd rather carry the G3. So staying with M-4/3 just made more sense to me. The G3 has cleaner noise at 1600+ ISO. So if you want a 2nd camera and don't mind the size I think the 40D is a good bet.

• Like Like x 1
  6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    You're right, for you the 40D doesn't have better performance than your m4/3 camera. Congrats, you just saved yourself another purchase. /endthread

• Like Like x 1
  7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I have a 40D which I've been seriously considering offering for sale. I love the camera - great IQ, more than fast enough for sports, nice balance (feels really good in my hands), excellent control layout. I used it for sr. portraits, my daughter's volleyball games, landscapes and for photographing performances of the drama group at our local high school. I have always been happy with the camera - it was my go to camera when I had to get high quality shots.
    The size (and dollar value) prevented me from travelling with it. It took up way to much space and I didn't want to risk it in places like Guatemala. I had a Fuji bridge camera that I used for travel. It was also sizeable because it was a super-zoom.
    When I discovered the :43: cameras my original intent was to replace the Fuji. As time went on I realized that the :43: system would replace both cameras for the way I use my cameras. I can even use my canon lenses.
    Two things keep me from selling the 40D: one, I really like the camera even though I hardly use it anymore. Two, I would have a hard time getting what I feel it's worth - the lack of video capability (Which I see as a plus not a minus) makes it harder to sell. It is, however, an outstanding camera.

8. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I wouldn't consider a 40D as an additional body to what you have now SHREdD, unless you are looking to shoot sports/fast action. If that is your goal then I agree that the 40D is maybe the best bang for your buck used DSLR on the market. 40D + Canon 85/1.8 can shoot even in poorly lit gyms, and that combo can be had for <$800 used. Add a 55-250 for outdoor stuff for $150 or less, or a 70-200/4 for ~ $500 and you are all set.

9. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    That's exactly it. My sons are 5 and 8 and into any sport you can imagine. I LOVE my PENs, but at football games I think I'd like to reach out a little more.

Honestly, I just got the E-P3, so I'll spend a few hours tonight seeing if the shutter lag is better than on my E-PL2. If so, I may just stick with my PENs and buy a long legacy lens. Also, I hate to buy something with this OM-D pending...

10. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    I have a very under-utilized 40D with a few lenses, none really high-end. 95% of the time, I use a MFT or compact camera, but when one of my children wants a "formal" portrait of the grandchildren, I fall back to the 40D. Not that I couldn't generate an acceptable image with the E-P3....but the DSLR mystique hasn't completely worn off.

So the 40D will hang around a little longer...neglected but secure.

11. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    I don't doubt that the E-P3 can get some good shots, but for <$1000 the 40D + 85 + 55-250 will really kill it for you. And as a bonus the 85/1.8 will deliver some great portraits as well. Not much risk either, as you can buy and sell the used Canon gear pretty easily. Check out Classifieds at POTN.

I hear you on the OM-D though. It might be a "must have" item...

12. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    My typical access allows me these types of shots without effort (my son is #23 in blue/gold). Sunshine isn't a problem down here. This is taken from an old fb post a few months ago, so it was processed for the web. I'm okay with this. Maybe a longer lens for the E-P3 is a better spend...

[​IMG]

13. demiro

Nov 7, 2010
    nothing at all wrong with that shot

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    How about a Zuiko 70-300 for your E-P3? $399 at Amazon.com.

15. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    Steve
    Yeah, that's the best route. Thanks everyone!