Canon EF lenses to M4/3??

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jonathanscv, Sep 28, 2011.

1. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

Anyone tried using a canon lens on GF1 before? hows the outcome??
  2. Marcula

Marcula Mu-43 Regular

Aug 5, 2011
    Surrey, UK
    Yes, can be done - plenty of adaptors on Ebay and elsewhere (search EOS to m4/3). Results can verge on the comical, but some good images can be produced. Most Canon lenses are rather bulky, and so to my mind, somewhat dilute the lightweight, portable purpose of m4/3. But there's fun to be had :biggrin:
  3. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Yes, I tried the "nifty fifty" EF lens, and results were generally good. Only problem is you're stuck with one aperture - either wide-open, or whatever you set your aperture on a canon body (then press the DOF preview button and remove the lens).

There should be some on the gallery of adapted lenses here in this forum.
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Look on the Front Page of this site and you'll see an interesting article here:

There are also a few other adapters with aperture control, including Berger, Kipon, and Bower. The Berger adapter is like the Redrock, which controls aperture directly from the lens' native electronic control, whereas the Kipon and Bower adapters use their own aperture control ring (like the Novoflex adapters for many other mounts). The Berger and Redrock options are significantly more expensive.

(a lot of this information I learned myself in the above linked thread)
  5. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

Thanx a lot guys~~ My adapter just arrived today and dying to try it out as soon as possible.... am mounting a EF 400mm to my GF1 and mainly shooting birds.... so now i got a 800mm after mounted to GF1~~~ hope i can get good results~~~
  6. saxshooter

saxshooter Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 26, 2011
    Wow, an effective 800mm lens. That must be a challenge to manual focus birds with!
  7. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I've just started using my EF 400 on my Gf1, but on a tripod and on static subjects. The few shots I've taken so far look good.
  8. Caroline

Caroline Mu-43 Regular

Mar 4, 2010
    Wow, which 400, the F5.6, the F4 DO or the F2.8 :eek: - I'd love to see a picture of any of those lenses on a micro-4/3 body, they are all huge (especially the 2.8!). I bet the GF1 looks more like a rear lens cap than a camera! :wink::biggrin:

I have a 100-400 EF zoom lens for my 40D but I have to admit the sheer size and weight of it puts me off trying it on my E-PL3, let alone the rather odd way of changing aperture on these adaptors!
  9. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

Am using EF400mm f/5.6.... it is much lighter than the 100-400mm though.... i like ur quote "rear lens cap" hahaaha

Attached Files:

10. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

By the way, any chances of attaching GF1 to a Swarovski Scope???
  11. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

T-mount to MFT adapter + T to 1.25" adapter should get you onto any scope that takes 1.25" eyepieces. Also, can use a basic eyepiece projection adapter as well for even more magnifications.

Ofcourse, if you can simply go T mount to the scope then you only need the one adapter.
  12. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I attach my E-P2 to my Nikon 82 ED Field Scope buy using the Nikon Universal Bracket, works good, but you'll need a heavy tripod & head.
  13. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    I don't think that will work on the Swarovski scopes, like Nikon & Leica, they have dedicated eyepiece mounts. Eyepiece projection is the easiest way on these scopes.
  14. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

Thanx for the info~~
  15. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

Do u have any lens attach to your EP-2 when u use the bracket??
  16. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, I use the eyepiece mounted on the scope + mZuiko 14-42 zoom mounted on the E-P2. The Nikon bracket allows the camera lens to line up with the eye piece and touches the rubber eye cup on the eye piece.
  17. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    By the way, my scope is straight, not the angled eye piece version.
  18. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
  19. jonathanscv

jonathanscv Mu-43 Rookie

Nice~~ do u have a picture of the cam mounted on the scope?? heehee
  20. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    Yes, I'll dig out.