Canon EF Lens on my GH1/EP1?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by crashwins, Oct 11, 2012.

1. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Trying to sell my Canon Mark 2 along with my 17-40 L lens and it occurred to me maybe I could use this lens for video on my GH1. I can see there are adapters, but could this lens AF, take sharp images, etc? Thanks, as always, for the help :)

2. dylandingo

dylandingo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 12, 2011
    La Crosse, WI
    You can use it but in order to change the aperture you'd need to put it on your canon dslr and set it on there and do a little trick to set the aperture. Auto- focus would be lost too since there is no electrical connection. I too had that 17-40mm lens and its a shame to sell it but you'd have better luck with a native lens or an adapted lens that is without autofocus and that has an aperture control on the lens.

3. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Thank. But don't they have more expensive adapters that allow for aperture control or no?

4. I think that there are, but for the price of that adapter alone you could buy a Four Thirds mount Zuiko 14-54 f2.8-3.5 MkII (the MkI won't autofocus on a GH1). Four Thirds to Micro Four Thirds adapters can be bought for less than $100 which allow full electronic control.

5. crashwins

crashwins Mu-43 Regular

Oct 13, 2010
    Northampton, MA
    Ah. I have one of those already. The Lumix one, which I use with my Leica Vario lens (that sucks lol). So the Olympus 4/3s lens will AF? Thanks!

6. The MkII version of the 14-54mm will autofocus with every m4/3 camera, the MkI won't with the first generation Panasonic cameras (G1, GH1, GF1).

7. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, the Four-Thirds Zuiko and Leica lenses will both AF on a Micro Four-Thirds camera (with the exception of some incompatibility with older Panasonic bodies). AF is not very fast though, as those lenses were built for Phase Detect and you will only have S-AF not C-AF. Everything else will work 100% like a native lens, including aperture control, automatic IBIS (on the Oly body), manual focus assist, etc.

The adapters to allow electronic aperture control on your Canon EF lenses cost about $400 and are available from Redrock or Berger. They will allow aperture control but no AF at all and none of the other goodies I listed.

Both the Zuiko and Leica Vario-Elmarit (the vario-elmar is not in the same league) are great choices, but the best is the Zuiko 14-54mm II which will AF the fastest on a Micro Four-Thirds body since it is optimized for Contract Detect AF. Of course, the fastest is a native Micro Four-Thirds mount lens such as the Lumix X 12-35mm f/2.8.