1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon EF 400 F5.6 L plus adapter on E-M1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by newphoto1, Feb 22, 2015.

1. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Has anyone tried this combination? Wonder about the autofocus speed, quality, and how well IBIS allows for hand holding, especially for wildlife and birds?

2. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    It's a great telephoto on the E-M1. The IBIS is wonderful, but I am not aware of any adapters that allow autofocus....it's manual only.

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Has someone made a magic adapter, and if so, how much does that cost?

4. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    oh no! No autofocus! Back to waiting for the 300 F4 Pro.

5. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Oh how I wish someone would... This is the most frequently used lens on my E-M1. Autofocus would just be heaven. As far as I know, nobody makes an adapter that supports autofocus for EF lenses on an m43 camera. Metabones makes a smart adapter that allows image stabilization, exif, and control of the aperture, but no autofocus. I'd give up all three of those things for autofocus instead.

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    Metabones makes an adapter that controls the aperture on EF lenses, but unfortunately not AF.

7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    The metabones speedbooster also does not support IBIS, only IS through lenses which have it built in.

Source: I own it, IBIS doesn't work (I have to manually set focal length and rotate the lens on bayonet to disengage it if I want IBIS - it's only really useful for subjects which require you to freeze action, if you can get away with the longer shutter time then IBIS wins hands down).

8. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
  9. MarkoPolo

MarkoPolo Mu-43 Regular

Jan 25, 2014
    Greeley, CO
    Mark Brown
    Wow, if that works, I may not have to wait for the 300mm f4. US $285 sounds pretty reasonable.

10. DaninFLA

DaninFLA Mu-43 Regular

Apr 2, 2015
    Dan
    that would be incredible. hope it works as well as they say. cant wait to hear some reviews

11. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    It will be very interesting to see the final weight specs and price for the Olympus 300/4. The 300/4 + 1.4x would give you 420/5.6.

The EF 400/5.6 is 1250g. You have to add the extra weight of the adapter, but also the Oly TC, so thats probably a wash. I don't think the Oly would be significantly heavier, if its heavier at all than this combo. Plus it will likely focus a lot faster, though to be fair we don't know much about the AF functionality with this Kippon adapter. However, we do know that Canon lenses focus really slow in live view with Canon bodies that only have CDAF, all but a few simply aren't optimized for CDAF.

The Canon + adapter combo would probably be cheaper though, and is of course available today.

12. hoodlum

hoodlum Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 16, 2012
    Toronto Canada
    The Kipon adaptor would need to support the PDAF on the E-M1 otherwise AF would be way too slow. Hopefully we'll hear some reports next month when it starts shipping.