1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon EF 35 f/2 IS USM on Oly EM10

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MEJazz, Apr 25, 2015.

1. MEJazz

MEJazz New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2015
    M. Ejaz
    I am totally new to m43 format but have been using all sorts of Canon digital cameras/lenses for years. I recently tried using my Canon 35/2 IS lens on EM10 via Fotasy adapter w/aperture and even after zooming in and using focus peaking, my images did not turned out sharp at all. This was indoor at night under very low light. The kit lens did not produce good images under these conditions so i thought about using my Canon fast prime. Any one else have tried Canon 35/2 or 50/1.4 or 85/1.8 on m43 and got good sharp results? What could i be missing - any particular setting in OM10?

2. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    Did you set the focal length of the lens under the IS settings?

3. MEJazz

MEJazz New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2015
    M. Ejaz
    No, i just found this option. Will try setting it to 35mm. Followup question though why does it defaults to 9mm when i have the kit lens attached? I tried zooming it all the way to 42mm and it still shows 9mm? I don't think i need to change it when i use kit lens - it should update automatically?

4. siftu

siftu Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 26, 2015
    Bay Area, CA
    siftu
    You only need to change it for lenses which can't talk to the body (legacy). All native lenses adjust automatically.

Are you hand holding when you shoot? Are you focusing with focus peaking and/or magnify? Also I'm not sure how much of a difference it will make but you could set 0 second anti shock.

What shutter speeds are you using?

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    At a glance there's a zone of sharpness however if noise reduction has been applied it might be reducing fine detail.
    The first appears fine, the second appears back focused.

I've used the Canon 50mm f1.4 on a speedbooster and it's extremely sharp (as it's basically only using the center sort of APS-C part of the lens after focal reducer) however very little is actually in focus when it's wide open and if you don't nail focus perfectly... it's going to look soft.

With wider aperture lenses if you don't nail focus perfectly you're going to get blurry pictures, you or the subject leaning forwards or backwards or just relaxing slightly will shift where they are relative to the plane of focus - it's very hard to nail focus at closer distances wide open with manual focus even with focusing aids.

6. MEJazz

MEJazz New to Mu-43

Apr 25, 2015
    M. Ejaz
    That was just a quick test and not a very good one I guess. I'll have time to do more shooting over the weekend so I'll use these tips here. I know fast primes and primarily use these on a daily basis so yes I know DOF is very thin at max aperture. I am sure in good light I'll get better results. But I do want to see good results in low lights - that's why I have these fast primes.