Canon convert in En Zed

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by scotttnz, Jan 17, 2012.

1. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Hi, thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Scott from Auckland, New Zealand, and I have just sold my Canon 5D and a pile of lenses and got myself a GX1 with the 14-42 power zoom.

I made the switch for 2 reasons:
    1) I wanted to free up some capital to buy a boat :biggrin:
    2) My canon gear has been sitting practiacally unused for the last few years, largely because it was too big and heavy to carry around with me.

Having looked at a similar move a year or so ago,The 14-42 power zoom was what convinced me that now was the time. Finally I can have what I was looking for. Near SLR image quality, with a decent walk around zoom range, in a package not much bigger than many point and shoots. So now I have no excuse to not take it with me. I'm sure I will pick up a few more lenses over the next little while, but I will still be able to pick up a small versitile camera with that little lens on it to take with me where ever I go.

I nearly went with the GF3, and would have prefered the smaller size, but in the end the better high ISO image quality convinced me to pay the extra for the GX1.

Hopefully the new toy will get me out taking photos again! :thumbup:
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Welcome Scott congrats for ur new camera..
    U did the correct thing by by buying GX1 but u did a wrong thing by joining this forum ..hahahahahaah .
    Don't worry and as myself and other forum members will make sure that u gather enough things to dwarf ur Canon 5D ...Lol:rofl:
    Just kidding ..Great decision mate and u will love the small forum factor and u will soon realise u r in a different BOAT now .
    Now when u have bought boat for urself and if some cash is still left then Just buy two primes to start with
    1) Panasonic 20 mm 1.7 pancake - great walkaway lenes for day to day and low light
    2) Olympus 45mm 1.8 - A benchmark portrait lens for MFT format at present ..
    This a great place to be if u own ,planning to own or if even u have owned MFT gear at any point of time . This forum is like a big family and I can say well behaved family . U will soon come across regular guys who offer great advice at zero price ( gear will cost u though )
    Hope to see pics with ur new toy.

Have a look at this
  3. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello and welcome Scott - would love to visit NZ.
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome aboard. The 5D + Lenses for the GX1, lenses and a boat is a great trade-off!

Of course, you'll be trading a 5D each year now, to keep the boat in the water, but I digress :)

Welcome aboard, and do post some pictures when you start shooting!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    Welcome to Micro 4/3rds Scott, lets see some images.

6. WoodWorks

WoodWorks Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Ashland, OR USA
    Yeah, welcome! Let's see some pictures of your new boat.

7. Alf

Alf Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 23, 2010
    Northeastern Tuscany
  8. scotttnz

scotttnz Mu-43 Regular

Jan 16, 2012
    Thanks for the welcome everyone. :)