1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon announces the smallest dslr, the SL1. Do the specs look good enough to threaten m43?

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by asaulo1, Mar 21, 2013.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Just reading the announcement of the Canon SL1 and it made me think if this is Canon's answer to the m43 system. It seems their first foray into the mirrorless realm didn't quite make a splash. I mean if you're a Canon shooter and have invested in some nice Canon glass, it would really make sense to consider this new body. I, myself, have quite a few and with the pancake 40mm prime lens, this would be quite the portable power house system. Your thoughts?

2. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    I don't have anymore Canon glass.

3. Mat - MirrorLessons

Mat - MirrorLessons Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2013
    Turin
    Its size seems very small, but I think it will remain more "bulky" than some mirrorless cameras, such as the OM-D for example. And if you put some nice Canon lenses in front of it, then the overall size will be extended.
    Mirrorless aren't just about the body, but also the lenses.
    I'm curious about the Eos M, I don't think Canon will abandon it. But I could be wrong...

4. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Does anyone remember the E-4xx series from Olympus? It's about that size.

If you compare with an E-M5 the difference in height(top to bottom) and width(left to right) isn't much, but the difference in depth(front to back) is pretty big, this is even before a lens is mounted.

In other words, it's similar height- and width-wise than an E-M5 but 50%+ deeper.

5. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Low end m43 cameras are still much smaller. And m43 cameras the even begin to approach this in size are much more capable. There's really little comparison, even before you consider the size of the lenses.

7. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    I think if you're a canon user, familiarity with the controls play a bigger role than some folks might give it credit for. Also, an APS-C sensor could give the m43 sensors a run for their money in IQ and dynamic range. I just think its an intriguing little camera system that might be even more interesting when the price drops just like the other recently announced digicams.

8. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Pretty much says it all. A picture's worth a thousand words. :biggrin:

9. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    The OMD is smaller but without the grip, I always thought it was hard to handle without feeling it was going to slip out of my hand. And that's one of the reasons I ended up selling my OMD. I think the added bulk in the grip area of the SL1 will add to better handling, in my opinion. As far as lenses go, that's a whole other story.

10. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I guess I'm a little surprised that anyone is interested in this if they weren't interested in the E-4xx series. If it wasn't a good enough concept to "save" four-thirds when Olympus made it, what would make the concept better now? Is it appealing because the lenses you can get to fit onto it are even larger than the equivalent four-thirds lenses?

I would have used a smiley, but I'm not sure whether the dead horse smiley is the most appropriate since Canon has basically revived the E-450 a couple years after it was discontinued(beating that dead horse,) or if the head-scratching smiley is the most appropriate, since Canon has basically revived the E-450 a couple years after it was discontinued(making me scratch my head.)

Maybe the head-scratcher is the most appropriate, since there is the added confusion of Canon making some noise about being revolutionary or innovative while they discreetly toe-push the E-450 body they bought off eBay behind a bookshelf, distracting everyone by pointing out the window and yelling "Look it's Bigfoot!" Then someone finally points out this rebel is like an E-450 and Canon says, "No, no, it's completely differ--, I mean, what is Olympus E-450? I have never even heard of this. Is it one of those micro-cassette recoders?"

11. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Canon's crop sensor glass lineup makes Nikon's DX glass look comprehensive. What are you going to do, bolt a 17-40L to this thing?

12. Savas K

Savas K Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 10, 2013
    Said in a Bill Clinton drawl, "It's the lenses, stupid." My lenses were four times the weight and bulk of equivalents that I presently own. And I can carry all of my micro 4/3 equivalents at once whereas fewer lenses accompanied me before.

13. janneman

janneman Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 6, 2012
    Netherlands
    Jan (John) Kusters
    I agree with Savas, the biggest trick is the relatively small primes M43 has to offer. For me the Canon has no attraction.

14. gnb40

gnb40 Mu-43 Regular

Jul 9, 2011
    Maryland
    Gary
    It's definitely the lenses that will be the problem. I just got rid of my APC Canons (with much trepidation). The problem is that my favorite travel lens was the 15-85 (24-120). This lens weighs in at 1.6 lbs, has a 72mm filter diameter, and is 3.5 inches long without the lens shade! The volume of this lens is more than my e-pl5 with the Panasonic 20mm on it. I can put the e-pl5 and 20 in my jacket pocket, not the 15-85 (without the body). Go with a longer zoom like an 80-200 or 70-300 and the size differences is tremendous.

Comparing primes, the same thing applies. Canon makes 1 pancake lens... the rest of their primes are pretty big.

15. Mr.Kilawin

Mr.Kilawin Mu-43 Regular

Sep 23, 2012
    I believe a lot of new buyers will get SL1 simply because of Canon's popularity. Claiming the smallest DSLR alone is enough to make new buyers to place an order even if the lens size remains the same.

16. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Yes

17. fsuscotphoto

fsuscotphoto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2013
    St. Cloud, FL
    Ron
    Canon is going to kick butt with this body. A lot of people just want a smaller body and not a new system.

18. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here's a Camera Size comparison with the OM-D, E-420, and the SL1, each with a ultra-wide zoom attached:

Compact Camera Meter

19. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    with the 40mm pancake lens, I think it's a great carry around system....

20. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    :evilsmile:can't shoot it without long gone canon lenses