1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon announces T4i/650D and a pancake lens :))

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bhupinder2002, Jun 8, 2012.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Has anybody noticed that this camera has a secondary array of phase-detect AF points directly on the sensor?

The cat is out of the bag, it seems. I wanted to upgrade my Panasonic GH2 to the GH3 later this year, but now I think I will wait. The first mirrorless camera with large sensor and sensor-based PDAF will be my next purchase, even if this is not a Micro 4/3 camera.

3. slith

slith Mu-43 Regular

Apr 4, 2012
    Dublin, Ireland
    Alfonso
    Fair enough, but that's not a mirrorless camera...

4. I like that it has a touchscreen that supports a larger variety of gestures like pinching. That's the one thing that makes the E-M5 touchscreen feel a bit limited.

5. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Oly has the most to gain on sensor-PDAF -- and the most to lose by missing it. They need to get it on there, now. Especially now that Canon's producing these STM series lenses that are suited to CDAF focusing.

6. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I think the reference is to the upcoming Canon mirrorless that is rumored for this month or next. If it's got some kind of pdaf on the sensor.

The other items of note -- the 40mm is an EF (not EF-S) lens. Why do you need a pancake that can sit on a 5D? For size and weight savings? Hardly! How about a lens that can cross over from full size EOS to Canon mirrorless. I've got to think Canon's feeling some sales pressure in their Rebel line from mirrorless (less likely in the pro line).

Also, the 18-135 has been re-engineered it seems to better work with this new sensor tech. The 18-135 has also been shortened in size.

Other important improvements on the T4i -- reduced RAW sizes! 18MP RAW for everyday use is not helpful. This is the first Rebel to do s-raw.

stereo mics, sensor pdaf, etc. It's a good rebel, though maybe a year late. I just sold my complete T2i setup. I have to admit, I'm addicted to Oly sharpness, and the Rebel output just looks to soft to my eyes now.

I'm marginally interested in the Canon mirrorless, but ONLY if they have sensor-based PDAF that actually works. Even then, it'll launch with only a couple of lenses that will be compact (40mm pancake will still need an adapter).

It'll be interesting.

7. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Re-sharpness, what are you comparing? Canon's standard JPGs are relatively under processed compared to what Oly outputs, but there's a lot of detail to be had with minimal workflow (or simply adjustment of in-camera settings).

The sRAW and mRAW features don't interest me at all - storage is cheap, and if you've got the resolution, by all means use it. I do shoot small JPG with my 5DII, just to have nice, good enough JPGs for general use and full-sized RAW (Which is more likely to have broader support than sRAW and mRAW in third party editors, which I do use) for processing.

The 40/2.8 is an appealing lens because yes, size. It's almost perfect for my 5DII, and will balance just dandy. At 200 bucks I may order it sight unseen, just for the novelty value.

So nothing groundbreaking, but always interesting.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    Well, it seems quite likely that Canon will have a mirrorless camera out before the end of the year (they've been hinting at it for the last 6 months), and I strongly suspect the T4i's AF approach will be used there too.

I'm not nearly so hopeful about m4/3. There are significant rumblings of an E-7 DSLR, which would pretty much rule out any solution to the PDAF issue for m4/3 for the next 12-18 months.

Wait and see I guess...

DH

9. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    I have a 60d that has sRAW and mRAW but never used it. From what I understand, once you import s/mRAW files to your computer, you still have to convert it to regular raw files (or LR or whatever have you, does it for you) before it can be processed, resulting to a similarly-sized file to a regular raw. So you only get the benefit in the memory card, which for some people may be all they are after. As mentioned, I never used it so I could be wrong.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Well, it sounded cool on paper, lol. Oh well. I'm not going back to Rebels anyway. I've had 2 5Dcs, XT, XTi, XSi, T1i and T2i. If they ever released a rebel-sized FF, I'd consider it, but my last fling (the T2i I sold a couple of weeks ago) has put me off Rebels. They were nice in their day, but just too big for what they deliver. This is, though, the Rebel Canon should have released a year ago -- touch screen, sRAW (even if it is just a gimmick), nine cross-type focus points, etc.

11. kahren

kahren Mu-43 Regular

Mar 21, 2010
    imo this is canon's answer to panny 20/1.7, the 40/2.8 is a 20/1.4 equiv on m4/3
    there are quite a few peopel who have sold their 5d's for mirrorless stuff, i am more then sure that canon made this lens for those 5d people that maybe wouldn't mind carrying their beloved 5d if there was a small lens that could be attached to it with autofocus.

12. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    There is no difference between a 5D + 40mm pancake and 5D + 50/1.8. IMO. The body is large. The lens is inconsequential. But the MTF charts show it to be sharper than the two non-L 50s.

13. bongestrella

bongestrella Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2011
    Mechanicsburg, PA
    It's a meh response if you ask me, especially paired with their current bodies. To me, what it is is a (very faint) signal entry to mirrorless bodies.

14. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's what surpises me most. Not the size but the price.

15. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    It's a blob with a screen. Ugly.

16. KVG

KVG Banned User

May 10, 2011
    yyc(Calgary, AB)
    Kelly Gibbons
    The 40mm lens is only attractive to me on a ff camera. Now lets say canon releases a ff camera with the fuji xpro 1 or em5 form factor, then I'd be all over it.

• Like Like x 2
  17. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Gotta thank Pentax for starting the pancake stuff :biggrin:

18. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Amen!

19. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I can't imagine that lens being too sharp but on a 35mm sensor it would very good at all. Guess well know soon enough.

20. Canonrumours had posted some mtf charts comparing the "shorty forty" to the existing 50/1.8 II and the 50/1.4. I never found either of those to be stellar (on an APS-C sensor) but I think that a fair bit of that was due to PDAF calibration problems.

The “Shorty Forty” MTF Chart Comparison « Canon Rumors