1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon and m43? Sensor dev

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by RobWatson, Sep 21, 2011.

1. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Canon makes all their own CMOS sensors, and have sourced CCD sensors from Sony.

3. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I'm not sure they're going in the right direction on lens size there! :biggrin:

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    That's a big bag to carry on your shoulder. Is that EOS mount? I have an EOS to m43 adapter I could use.

5. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

0.3 lux sensitivity ... clearly bigger is not better in this case.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    The boldest move Canon can possibly make is to join m43 (by releasing innovative bodies of course). Such move would murder Nikon

7. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    Haha, that would be awesome! Unfortunately, I am thinking they will be doing something APS-C or so to out-spec Sony.

On the other hand, we need m4/3 bodies from Fuji, Ricoh/Pentax and Sigma. :biggrin:

8. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    I dunno. Imagine, Canon releases a couple of m43 bodies with all the right features (or mostly right), one pancake and one bright zoom at launch. Minimum investment or R&D, maximum return just the way Canon likes it. It will instantly gain access to a large user base and will eliminate Nikon as competitor (plus gain some Nex switchers).
    Trying to go APS-C means cutting into their own DSLR business and confusing those with lens collections. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony sells more Nex than their DSLR/T. Nikon is smart protecting their DSLR users.

9. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yes, but Canon would shed a tear every time someone mounted a Leica or Zuiko lens on it instead of an L.

Look, the game plan is simple for Canon. Sensor size doesn't matter. All they need to do is make it control EOS AF and lens apertures, and DONE. Instantly, they have made the camera available to the largest selection of high quality glass out there. Certainly, not a compact system at that point, but then they can develop the lenses at their leisure and sell everyone more compact replacements as they come out.

The thing is, the longer they wait, the more lenses m43 (and hopefully soon 3rd party) comes out with, the more difficult this challenge becomes. Now with Nikon in the fray, it can't be long before Canon crashes the party.

10. I would've thought that the best way to protect your existing DSLR* customers is to give them a system to easily transition to without updating their entire kit at once i.e. decent compatibility with existing lenses, same FOV, same accessory compatibility etc. What Nikon is not doing is protecting their entry-level DSLR sales from other manufacturers. Sony might be okay with letting the NEX take over from their existing entry-level DSLRs. You may as well lose sales to yourself than someone else.

*Assuming that the traditional consumer DSLR format is indeed living on borrowed time