Showcase Canon 85mm f/1.2L FD

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by MAubrey, May 28, 2013.

1. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I just picked up a copy of this lens to adapt to EF mount and then intend on using it both with my OM-D and my 5Dc.

I took some snapshots while waiting at the border crossing to get back into Canada this afternoon (the line was horrible). These are the kind of shots normally associated with such a lens, but standard portrait subjects where unavailable on the open road, so this will have to do. The lens is biting sharp stopped down and unexpectedly sharp at f/1.2--nowhere near as soft as I expected.

_5280035.

_5280031.

_5280030.

_5280029.

• Like Like x 2
  2. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Something more along the lines of what this lens was made for...still no portraits yet. Hopefully soon. My wife isn't likely to go out shooting with me until she finishes her MA thesis...sigh...

_5290003.
    @f/1.2

If you can't see the whole thing at once on your screen, right clicking and selecting "View Image" should do the trick...at least in Firefox.

3. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Here we go: a full length (spontaneous) portrait with an out of focus background.

_5290009.

That's the expression that says: "Really? You're doing this now? While I'm lugging a dozen books to a coffee shop to do some writing? Seriously?"

Okay, so its still not exactly planned, prepared, and elaborate portraiture, but it do show what this lens can do.

4. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    This is after post-processing in LR4 (including sharpening), but you can see there's plenty of resolution to work with wide open.
    _5280019.

100% crop:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I think he's looking at you...
    _5300038.
    E-M5 @f/4

• Like Like x 2
  6. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Some more flowers...
    _6020048.
    f/1.2

_6020050.
    f/2.8

_6020040.
    f/4

• Like Like x 1
  8. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    These are beautiful shots Mike with the qualities I would expect from a Canon L lens. However the bokeh on the one with your wife in the red hoodie is really unattractive. It's beautiful in all the other shots -- I wonder what was different about that one?

9. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I thought the same thing. I don't yet have any similar pictures to compare it to. I don't expect we'll be able to do any kind of real portraiture until mid summer when our schedules have opened up. Nevertheless, I have some guesses. I think its a combination of two things. First is the nature of the setting and background. The foliage is incredibly busy to begin with. And since its green, perhaps it makes the LA worse than it otherwise would be. Secondly, my normal ETTR technique, I think, has a negative effect with this light bucket of a lens. Abberations are accentuated by it and it added a lot more glow than there otherwise would have been...which in turn affected the OOF areas.

That's my guess. I'll need to play around with it to confirm anything. I'm hoping to do some comparisons between it and the Olympus 75mm f/1.8 this week if possible, too.

10. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  11. slothead

slothead Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 14, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Mike,
    While all your shots look good, I think your 2nd and 3rd sets are much more pertinent to the 85/1.2. I think it's strengths should be in bokeh and close-ups rather than landscapes.

12. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    Problem with this lens, of course, I always want to shoot wide open :smile:
    I think all these are at 1.2

p1603422772-4.

p1797309515-5.

p1675565843-5.

p1636924870-5.

• Like Like x 1
  13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I mostly agree. Those are much more normal uses of such a lens. The landscapes were fluke that resulted from my being forced to sit and wait at the US/Canada border for an hour after picking up my μ43-EF adapter in the mail (I have a US PO Box). There wasn't much else to shoot while you're sitting in your car and the farm scenery in the area was something I had been admiring for a while.

With that said, I'm not sure if I'd use the word "strengths." Maybe "inclinations" or "prototypical function." The quality of the lens toward and at infinity is just too good to ignore, I'd say.

100% crop from one of the images in the first post:
    _5280030%201.

Also, the 75mm f/1.8 has been a lens I've greatly appreciated for landscape as well as portraiture. Here, for example:

https://www.mu-43.com/f56/pitt-addington-marsh-greater-vancouver-oly75mm-konica-200mm-f-3-5-a-37759/

14. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    +1 :thumbup: - a wonderful telephoto in general, that's to be expected...

p1605131098-5.

15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Very nice framing & composition.

16. zettapixel

zettapixel Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 12, 2010
    NY
    And another one... sorry, couldn't resist...

p1712922142-4.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    A few more of my wife...working on her thesis...

These were shot at ISO1600 at 1/25th and 1/30th of a second, respectively, lit only by Christmas lights. IBIS & a fast lens on the OM-D is an awesome combination.

The whiteboard, by the way, is only about a foot from her and its still almost blown away from being out of focus (it actually was originally--I cranked up the clarity on that area in order to get some actual context other than just grey/whiteness).

_5310061.

_5310057.

18. Stephen Geis

Stephen Geis Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    Incredible shots on this thread, keep them coming .... !

19. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
  20. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3