1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon 85/2 on the Leica M8, the "I don't get no respect" lens

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Brian S, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This Canon 85/2 came with a Leotax D-IV and Simlar 5cm F1.5 outfit from Ebay. Took a risk that paid off, I was able to restore both lenses. The Simlar was frozen stiff and required three days of soaking in Ronsonol for the helical to move. The Canon was a little better. The lenses had heavy haze, but cleaned up to near mint. Those 60 year old Japanese Coatings are remarkable.

I know 4/3rds users do not care about RF cams, but this one was spot-on with the M8. And M8 users, the 75mm framelines are perfect with an 85mm lens.

Wide-open and close-focus. The Canon gets down to 3ft, which is even closer than my Nikon 85/2 AIS lens.

[​IMG]

At F4:
    [​IMG]

F2, some color:
    [​IMG]

F4:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Distance

F2:
    [​IMG]

F4:
    [​IMG]

SO: What sets this lens apart? It is a Planar formula lens, as opposed to the Sonnar short Telephoto's of Nikon and Zeiss. Closer to a 90/2 Summicron. Color correction is very good, and it is a low contrast lens which works out quite well for Digital: preserves shadow detail and keeps from blowing highlights.

AND this lens runs ~$100. It is about the price of a J-9, but better quality control.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    :smile:you got my respect

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Very nice...... and I definitely care about RF :) waiting on a used m8 myself.

5. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    You got my respect!

6. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

I agree - I care about m4/3 GF-1 and my M9 RF
    Both are great and compliment one-another

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    +1 to all that

Thanks for posting the shots

8. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Nice shoots! I love rangefinders and would love to get a digital RF one day, just canĀ“t afford a M8 yet :(

9. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Those are pleasing results. Well done.

If I remember right, this lens is heavy. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but if it's true people might want to know.

The rich and muscular may of course prefer to get a Canon 85/1.5: bigger, heavier, a lot more expensive, and reputedly much poorer.

Another cheapie is the Canon 100/4.

10. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Thankyou, all. I will be trying the 100/4 on the M8 as soon as the step-up ring comes.

This is a heavy lens, lots of brass and glass. It uses 48mm filters, like the first version Summicron 90mm. Overall- about the same size and weight. Just cost a LOT less!