Canon 85/2 on the Leica M8, the "I don't get no respect" lens

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This Canon 85/2 came with a Leotax D-IV and Simlar 5cm F1.5 outfit from Ebay. Took a risk that paid off, I was able to restore both lenses. The Simlar was frozen stiff and required three days of soaking in Ronsonol for the helical to move. The Canon was a little better. The lenses had heavy haze, but cleaned up to near mint. Those 60 year old Japanese Coatings are remarkable.

I know 4/3rds users do not care about RF cams, but this one was spot-on with the M8. And M8 users, the 75mm framelines are perfect with an 85mm lens.

Wide-open and close-focus. The Canon gets down to 3ft, which is even closer than my Nikon 85/2 AIS lens.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

At F4:

F2, some color:

F4:

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Distance

F2:

F4:

SO: What sets this lens apart? It is a Planar formula lens, as opposed to the Sonnar short Telephoto's of Nikon and Zeiss. Closer to a 90/2 Summicron. Color correction is very good, and it is a low contrast lens which works out quite well for Digital: preserves shadow detail and keeps from blowing highlights.

AND this lens runs ~$100. It is about the price of a J-9, but better quality control.

Vidar

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Nice shoots! I love rangefinders and would love to get a digital RF one day, just can´t afford a M8 yet :(

hohoho

Mu-43 Regular
Those are pleasing results. Well done.

If I remember right, this lens is heavy. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but if it's true people might want to know.

The rich and muscular may of course prefer to get a Canon 85/1.5: bigger, heavier, a lot more expensive, and reputedly much poorer.

Another cheapie is the Canon 100/4.

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Thankyou, all. I will be trying the 100/4 on the M8 as soon as the step-up ring comes.

This is a heavy lens, lots of brass and glass. It uses 48mm filters, like the first version Summicron 90mm. Overall- about the same size and weight. Just cost a LOT less!

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom