1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Canon 85/2 on the Leica M8, the "I don't get no respect" lens

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Brian S, Mar 8, 2010.

1. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    This Canon 85/2 came with a Leotax D-IV and Simlar 5cm F1.5 outfit from Ebay. Took a risk that paid off, I was able to restore both lenses. The Simlar was frozen stiff and required three days of soaking in Ronsonol for the helical to move. The Canon was a little better. The lenses had heavy haze, but cleaned up to near mint. Those 60 year old Japanese Coatings are remarkable.

I know 4/3rds users do not care about RF cams, but this one was spot-on with the M8. And M8 users, the 75mm framelines are perfect with an 85mm lens.

Wide-open and close-focus. The Canon gets down to 3ft, which is even closer than my Nikon 85/2 AIS lens.

[​IMG]

At F4:
    [​IMG]

F2, some color:
    [​IMG]

F4:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Distance

F2:
    [​IMG]

F4:
    [​IMG]

SO: What sets this lens apart? It is a Planar formula lens, as opposed to the Sonnar short Telephoto's of Nikon and Zeiss. Closer to a 90/2 Summicron. Color correction is very good, and it is a low contrast lens which works out quite well for Digital: preserves shadow detail and keeps from blowing highlights.

AND this lens runs ~$100. It is about the price of a J-9, but better quality control.

• Like Like x 2
  3. cosinaphile

cosinaphile Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    new york city
    :smile:you got my respect

4. ahuyevshi

ahuyevshi Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 9, 2010
    Berkeley, CA
    Very nice...... and I definitely care about RF :)  waiting on a used m8 myself.

5. SimplyEd

SimplyEd Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2010
    Philippines
    You got my respect!

6. ccmsosse

ccmsosse Guest

I agree - I care about m4/3 GF-1 and my M9 RF
    Both are great and compliment one-another

7. BillN

BillN Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 19, 2010
    SW France
    +1 to all that

Thanks for posting the shots

8. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    Nice shoots! I love rangefinders and would love to get a digital RF one day, just can´t afford a M8 yet :( 

9. hohoho

hohoho Mu-43 Regular

Jan 24, 2010
    Tokyo
    Those are pleasing results. Well done.

If I remember right, this lens is heavy. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, but if it's true people might want to know.

The rich and muscular may of course prefer to get a Canon 85/1.5: bigger, heavier, a lot more expensive, and reputedly much poorer.

Another cheapie is the Canon 100/4.

10. Brian S

Apr 11, 2009
    Thankyou, all. I will be trying the 100/4 on the M8 as soon as the step-up ring comes.

This is a heavy lens, lots of brass and glass. It uses 48mm filters, like the first version Summicron 90mm. Overall- about the same size and weight. Just cost a LOT less!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.