Showcase Canon 800mm FD f/5.6

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
These two were taken this evening with an OM-D E-M5 and the 1.4X TC

800mmPlusTC_OLY9624-X2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

f/16 1/4000 (horizon 3/4 miles distant)

800mmPlusTC_OLY9714-X2.jpg

f/8 1/125 -1EV

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
Later tonight I'll try the moon without the 1.4x TC and see how it compares. Try f/11 and see if it can get sharper, yet.

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
So here's the same moon shot, but 24 hours later, so about the same time of day, just after sunset, with moon high in sky to have about the same atmosphere, and without the teleconverter. Really, the older 1.4x TC is very very good, in my opinion. I compared several shots with and without and the difference is almost imperceptible. Almost, but not entirely. The TC adds a tiny bit more CA. But if you are going to blow up the image and print it, I think the converted image would sharpen to match the non-converted image and it would not need to be cropped.

800mm_OLY9930-X2.jpg

Julius

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Giulio
Awesome! I really like moon shot. Could you try to photograph any planets, like Jupiter?

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
I plan on it. Right now, the moon is waxing and is already high in the sky at sunset and by the time the moon sets, Jupiter is already low in the sky with lots of atmosphere to go through. Later in the month I should have some opportunities as the moon will be rising late and Jupiter will be high in the sky just before moonrise.

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
Here's a shot tonight of Jupiter and some moons. I shot these at f/8, ISO 1600, again, with the E-M5 in manual mode. The friend who loaned me the lens is probably going to sell it, so if anyone is interested, let me know and I'll put you in touch with him. He's a highly rated photographer and seller.

Jupiter_OLY3275.jpg

As for me, I may get back into astrophotography. But I'm really looking forward to some native, auto - super telephoto lenses at some point, from Olympus. Maybe a 200-500 f/5-6.3 or a 300-800 f/5.6.

wilco23

Mu-43 Rookie
Any more sample images with FD 800mm and OMD? Image links are dead and I am looking for 100% view of the original photo.
Thanks,

macalterego

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Jeffrey McPheeters
Sorry I missed your question. I just saw this. If you are still interested in seeing original images, let me know and I'll look up some photos and share some originals with you via dropbox.

wilco23

Mu-43 Rookie
Thanks for your reply. I would love to see 100% crop with 800mm FD lens. I want to know how sharp it is compare to others and how much CA with it. Actually I am looking to buy one of them if it is good.

Latest threads

Top Bottom