1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Canon 70d vs GH2/3

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by cluber77, Aug 6, 2013.

1. cluber77

cluber77 New to Mu-43

Aug 6, 2013
    Hi to all, I have the Gh2 and I really love this camera, I buy it in the first place for taking videos but...I fell in love with taking stills photos', I know that the GH2 have a small sensor then the canon and Nikon DSLR, now that canon came with this 70d I'm thinking...is this the camera that I'm looking for? We heard about taking Videos' with the new system of this camera, I Gus's that the photo quality will be better then the Gh2, so...do you think that is better for me to sell the GH2 and buy the d70 or maybe buy other camera?

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The GH2 is an older model. Yes the 70D will have beeter IQ. The question you should be asking is whether you should change systems or upgrade to the GH3.

Comparing the GH3 and 70D it'll be a close race, with both cameras capable of stunning results. The 70D shows a bit less noise at lower ISOs due to its stronger aa filter. At mid ISOs things are really close and at very high ISOs the Canon pulls slightly ahead. It gives abour 2/3 stop difference in DOF control (taking into account the aspect ratios are different between the sensors). The 70D focus better on moving subjects. The GH3 focuses more accurately on still subjects.

The GH3 is smLler and lighter as are its lenses, so it's a much smaller system to carry. The GH3 has more dynamic range than the Canon. The GH3 is more adaptable to non system lenses.

If you're happy with m43 I'd just upgrade. Too close to call otherwise.

Gordon

3. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    According to dxo, every canon aps-c 18mp sensor have basically the same qualities, and the gh2's sensor is better than any of them. Heck, they have scored the same since the 20d.

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings

If you look at any image with an canon aps-c sensor that has highlights, they are almost always blown... But still they outsell everyone else. ( but not in my shop;))
    Forget canon if you are not looking at fullframe.

4. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have a 7D and both the GH2 and GH3, and they're very different animals. With just about any dslr, you can follow the action, firing off bursts of shots, but that's very hard to do with m43. The blackout time is just too great.

Otoh, following anything moving in video is so much easier with the EVF, I can video birds in flight with the GH's, while the 70D promises to do it much better than any previous Canon dslr, you'll have to take a careful look at the list of compatible lenses. The rear LCD and size of the lenses also mean a much more awkward position or going to a bushhawk-like device.

5. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    I am quite sure 70d or any semipro canon is a good focuser. But I personally still would not buy one.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    What kind of 'stills photos' do you want to take? Unless it's something that requires good tracking autofocus, I don't see any real advantage to any APS-C DSLR over a higher end MFT camera. Full Frame has a different look to me, and different set of priorities, but the image quality differences (dynamic range, noise, detail) between mirrorless and DSLR are negligible to non-existant.

7. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    the main reason for m43 is the size do you like big ass cameras and lenses or small

8. MoriahMattson

MoriahMattson Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 3, 2013
    Beizing
    why dont you upgrade to GH3 easily as its the best one and easily accessible

9. arad85

arad85 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
  10. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I'd keep using the GH2 until the 70D is out for a bit and there is an abundance of user feedback about the camera and new technology that it brings.

At that point consider the switch or upgrade to GH3. Or even consider an E-M5 for stills to use in conjunction with your GH2 or 3. That camera is getting cheaper every day.

The only way the 70D would be an obvious upgrade imo is if you shoot sports/action.

11. cluber77

cluber77 New to Mu-43

Aug 6, 2013
    I'm coming from the video side of photography but, since I know my self, I always loved to take stills photo.
    All my photos that I take is photos of my children and my wife, I'm not into artistic or street photography, we travel a lot so i need a camera that will be fit to this style of photography.

So...you think that the canon 70d will not have advantage over the Lumix gh cameras in stills quality? So maybe I will consider to buy the gh3...thanks all for your replays'

12. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The only known real 'advantages' will be: slightly shallower depth of field for any given aperture and more pixels (which I actually do find significant, since I love printing big to huge).

Travel and people are served perfectly by MFT. And the image quality differences are really, really minimal between any of the current crop of mirrorless (say last 1.5-2 years) or APS-C DSLR options. There's a visible difference (to my eye) for Full Frame, but even then, real-world, blind test, identifying which camera was used to take which picture is going to be very, very, very difficult. To my mind, the only reason to get an APS-C DSLR right now is if you want/need solid tracking autofocus.

13. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    The choice of lenses is also of concern. The f2.8 zooms have only just come available, and now Sigma's 18-35/1.8 is testing to be as good as any f2.8 zoom, and it's aps-c only, so is the Tokina 11-17/2.8. Longer and fast tele's are abundant and of good quality, the m43 choices are quite limited.

The Panny 100-300 is good (I have it), but it doesn't come any where close to a Canon 400/5.6L for image quality (have that also) and AF speed.

14. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    I am stunned that a canon lens that is both a prime and twice the cost, outperforms a consumer zoom. What is the world coming to? Strangely enough Canon also make a lens that zooms to 400mm (600 ish 35mm equiv) like the panasonic. It also cost many times more, weighs twice as much, suck dust like no other and yet has marginally better image quality than the Panny 100-300.

Indeed, there are no high quality primes available from the 75mm mark and we're still not sure when the 150mm 2.8 will arrive. But what percentage of average amateurs use long primes anyway? I would argue that m4/3 has the most affordable way of hitting the 600mm mark (35mm equiv) of any system and does so with acceptable quality for the money spent.

The two 2.8 zooms have not "just come available". They've been on the market for many months and have been tested and reviewed many times, with generally excellent results. Except for the long primes m4/3 has an extensive range of native lens options IMHO.

Gordon

15. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    Did I step on someone's dog?

I just replied from the point of someone who has both systems and checked out the options.

FYI, I know many amateurs with long primes, but that's because the people I know are interested in that type of photography.

16. Neftun

Neftun Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 15, 2012
    Norway
    Patrick Kristiansen
    A few years back I saw an article about an amateur photoclub here in Norway. In the pictures of the members one could see a nikon or two, but mostly canons. They all had however, really long and bright zooms and primes, with an abundance of the flashy white canons. They seemed quite proud of their gear, and I am quite sure rightly so.
    What they did in this amateur club with their awesome pro gear was to meet up near an local airfield and photograph airplanes taking off and landing.

I would LOVE to see a slideshow from them... Not.

17. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Nah. The dogs fine. Getting a little fat but fine.

I just thought that the 100-400L would be a more fair comparison. I shot Canon professionally for 20 years. I've also owned most of the lenses they've made. I would think that Canon sell ten 100-400's for every 400 5.6L. Do you really think a 400mm pro prime is a fair comparison to a $600 consumer zoom?

Gordon

18. mattia

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    True re: telephoto options. Although I have been very impressed with the quality the 100-300 delivers with the right RAW processor behind it (DxO Optics Pro). Much like the 100-400 I used to own (it was a good copy), it's a bit of a 'fair weather lens' (contrast/rendering shines with good light and it's best stopped down one or two stops), and doesn't give up much in terms of sharpness. Despite being much cheaper and much, much lighter. Beats the heck out of similarly priced Canon options.

I'm not really much of a telephoto shooter outside of holidays-with-wildlife, though, and the wide-to-normal glass selection for MFT is very good. Not perfect, nowhere near as extensive as for CaNikon, but better than pretty much all mirrorless systems (Fuji close second, is my impression)

19. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I wasn't looking for a 1:1 comparison, but that you have options that aren't available at all, or significantly different. Isn't that the point of evaluating a system rather than just a body or a lens.

20. flash

Apr 29, 2010
    Gordon
    Sure. And yes, I'mprobably being overly perdantic.Ijust don't think that your examples of the Panasonc long zoom and fast zooms were the right ones. They have somewhat equivalents in Canon land (ignoring the obvious lackof a70-200 equivalent for apsc). Had youjust said there'snothing like thelong primes or T/S lenses, I'd absolutely agree with you. Ijust don't agree with the particular choices you made this time. I am alowed to disagree aren't I?

Gordon