Canon 70d new generation Dual Pixel PDAF

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Halaking, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Just saw this new Canon 70d with new generation PDAF, 30% faster focus speed, better color rendering, very interesting. Can't tell the difference between the OMD, the new game of CDAF VS PDAF.
  2. wolfie

wolfie Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Auckland, New Zealand
    This could be really big

because if it works then Canon, or anyone else with same technology, doesn't need to invest in separate contrast detect focus lens systems - which means you can use same lens line as DSLR on a mirrorless body. Great for people who want a mirrorless backup/companion to their DSLR, just use a compatible adapter and you downsize without a drastic AF performance penalty.

Other benefit is that phase detect is still vastly superior to contrast detect for continuous AF, especially for subject tracking - so again no need to pursue a separate technology.

So if the image quality of the new pixels is OK and the AF performance can match or better what the CD systems offer, then this could be a real game changer for the mirror-less category.

One hopes that the next OM-D will show some sort of similar PDAF technology.
  3. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
  4. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    But they are not competing for the same market... It's still a big camera.
  5. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Seems like more of a shot across panasonics bow (gh3) than Olympus's. Closer in size to gh3, "potentially" better movie af, looking at specs it looks like they have decent frame rate options (didn't see mention of bitrates though), plus regular phase detect for stills.
  6. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Mid level consumer price tag. It's a direct shot at mirror-less manufacturers. Mid level consumers look at price to feature and brand comps. It will also potentially shore up the Canon loyal that may be concerned about the future of their lenses with pdaf systems.

Although I wonder, as a non engineer, if the sensor has double the photo sites, doesn't that mean more potential for noise?
  7. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    I can also see this being more of an alternative to the GH3 than the E-P5. Of course, I'm sure Sony will have something equivalent for Olympus at some point, as will Panasonic. In many ways this technology is more important for mirror-less systems than DSLRs.
  8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How well did Canon's much hyped last hybrid AF work?

Yeah, I'll wait til I see it with my hands.
  9. inkista

inkista Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 13, 2012
    San Diego, CA
    Actually, dpreview was pretty favorable about the performance on their pre-production unit.

Their explanation of the tech on that same page is also very good.

Obviously, the 70D (and 7DMkII, or 750D which will probably follow on with the same tech) aren't really going to be in direct competition with m4/3 cameras. But when this goes into the EOS M... that's a different story. As dpreview pointed out in their 70D summary:

The recent firmware update for the EOS M already improving the AF performance before this sensor technology is added also points to the fact that Canon is aware that mirrorless AF performance is one place to concentrate their R&D time/money on.

As a Canon shooter with a ton of Canon glass, the idea of sharing all my flash gear and a few L lenses--with full autofocus function--is undoubtedly appealing. For now, my G3 and mft lenses are a better and cheaper proposition than EOS M and I'm sticking with mft, but I'm open to seeing how things develop. I'd love to be able to use my YN-622c triggers and 580EXII with that sweet sweet flash control panel. Yongnuo doesn't make TTL radio triggers for mft, and the DMC-G3 doesn't have a flash control menu. Or thinks you want to use wireless flash at all, for that matter. (sigh).
  10. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    I was thinking the built in WiFi is a direct counter move to the E-P5.

11. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It's also a chance for Canon to test out the feature and figure out any kinks before they push it downmarket to the Rebels. If it works as advertised, it'll be Canon's answer to SLT and high-end mirrorless as they can remove the mirror and OVF altogether with no performance/image quality penalty.
  12. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I would put in a pre-order for this camera literally now and sell off my Sony equipment, if it had 1080p/60. It doesn't. Damnit, Canon. I realize most of the market probably doesn't care but this is a big big big point for me.
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    What will make things really interesting is if Canon implements this technology in their next iteration of their mirrorless EOS-M bodies...:wink:
  14. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I saw an article somewhere said the EOS-M is coming on the 2nd half of this year with EVF option.
  15. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 20, 2012
    Blue Mountains, NSW, Australia
    The first one should have had that option. That & slow AF made it a bit of a lost cause.
  16. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    I think it's a very interesting development and Canon is to be commended, especially for the fact they are bringing out this rather innovative capability in the XXD body, rather than in the Pro 1D or 5D systems first. It will get used and tested in a much wider field of users than it otherwise would have. Certainly it helps relieve the 7D which is due for an update or to be phased out.