Showcase Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 II NanoUSM

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I haven't seen anyone else with this lens. Its a nice modern 70-300 f/4-5.6 lens and it costs an incredibly low $400 for a refurb if you get it on sale, that's with taxes too...

Optically really good, sharp wide open in practice. Its supposed to improve by one stop but I find myself never needing to bump it down beyond 1/3 to 2/3. That's with the teleconverter too.

Takes a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC or any non protrusive TC. The Kenko works great on it even wide open.

Autofocus is incredibly fast, but finicky at times. You probably will want to AF Microadjust if you put a teleconverter on - I found I needed to.

The manual focus is done by wire. It doesn't fell bad at all.

No hood included. Get a cheapo one. The hood has a button release, but it seems to turn off if you have it reversed without depressing the button.

The LCD window is very responsive to showing the focus position. I actually like this feature.

Doesn't creep if you point it at the ground, the lock I guess prevents it from extending if you pull it out of a tight bag.

You can easily push-pull it with the hood (reversed or not) on it. I like using it this way rather than twisting it.

70-300II.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

No protrusive TCs.jpg

You can use a Kenko Pro 300 1.4x TC or a plain tube to turn it back into a 70-300mm f/4-5.6 instead of having an inexpensive 50-210mm f/2.8-4. Optically as the latter is is excellent. The Kenko doesn't harm image quality on this lens very much even if it sits in front of the Speedbooster Ultra.

1M280362BN.jpg
With the TC neutralizing the Speedbooster.

Last edited:

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
All of these are TC'd as well.
1M229502N.jpg
1M229547N.jpg

Reflector

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
No teleconverter:
P9130287.jpg

P9130287N.jpg

A 100% from that.

P9242128N.jpg

P9242151N.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom