Canon 6d Specs

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by WT21, Sep 16, 2012.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
  2. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I'm a Canon shooter (when not using m43), but based solely on specs and recent history of Nikon vs. Canon sensors, I think Nikon's D600 cleans Canon's clock. 11 focus sensors, Canon? Seriously?

Canon's been too long in the mode of crippling the feature set of it's less expensive bodies to make the more expensive ones seem worth the cost. Nikon, OTOH, seems to try to push the higher-end bodies even higher to accomplish the same goal. Were I going to continue to invest in APS-C, I'd have to seriously consider bagging all my Canon gear and starting over.

• Like Like x 1
  3. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    When I read that the 6D was based on the 60D, the alarm bells went off. The 60D/7D fork in the road was the end of the line for the quality bodies represented by the 20D, 30D, and 40D. What a shame...

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I pretty mich agree with you. I was considering picking up one of these "compact and affordable" FF cameras, but they are neither compact nor that affordable (though used and refurb and Canon loyalty prices will help). I was following Canon because I know their lenses, but I agree the Nikon should produce better IQ.

5. alans

alans Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Ditto, I switched to Canon (from 43) because of specific lens selection even though I preferred the Nikon bodies. The 6D so far is uninspiring, unless it's IQ is super and the AF happens to work well.

In m43 land, it's great that we can pick and choose bodies and lenses from 2 brands and interchange within systems. As long as m43 keeps moving forward, I'll be very happy.

• Like Like x 1
  6. monkeymagic

monkeymagic Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 12, 2012
    I'm a real Canon faboi and I'm proud of it. But that 6D is trash and I'm beginning to wonder WTH is going on at Canon.

7. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
  8. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Nikon's sensors in the past generation are more impressive than Canon's - the D800 has about the same level of per pixel high ISO noise, meaning a real world advantage in performance at any given print size (which is what matters to me). Plus lots of extra resolution. The fact it's also cheaper than the 5D mark III, which is only an incrimental upgrade over the mark II (maybe 1, 1.5 stops better DR, essentially same pixel count, but much better AF system which I don't really care about) makes me go 'hmm'.

The 5D Mark II remains an absolutely fantastic camera, with great IQ, and I love my L glass lineup to bits, so I'm not particularly interesting in jumping ship, but I do occasionally seriously consider selling off all the Canon gear, getting a D800, maybe a 14-24/2.8, 135/2.0 DC and a 50/1.4 (Nikon or Sigma) and a fast 35 (not sure on the qualities of Nikon's offerings, maybe Zeiss) and be done with it. Should be able to just about break even. And then I come to my senses and figure I'll just see what the next few years bring, because I do love that 35L/135L/24-105L combo..

9. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    As a former Canon user, I try my best not to feel like the guy who sees his ex-girlfriend's life go to waste, and tries to decide whether to be happy or sad about it.

For the time being, the vibe I get from Canon is one of total arrogance. The question being how long the market will tolerate this.

10. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

It seems the Canon 6D will sell for several hundred dollars less than the D600 that will boost sales in a price sensitive segment of the market, even if the Camera isn't actually as good.

Remember BetaMax vs VHS... the technically superior option doesn't always win out :wink:

11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    the 5d mkii body is the same price, and still easy to get... I can't tell what they're trying to do with this camera. For me no one else has the lens that is really attracting me back to EOS right now. I've somehow convinced myself to sell off some stuff and build up a kit around the 17mm TS-E, but if the 2K price point camera level is going to be going down hill.. I don't know.

12. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    List price is the same (initially it was supposed to be $2500, but they appear to have adjusted in the wake of the D600 announcement). However, unlike the D600, it won't actually be available until December. That certainly can't help sales.

DH

13. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
  14. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara