Canon 5DII vs Olympus OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Talanis, Jan 24, 2013.

1. Talanis

Talanis Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Hi everyone,

Just for fun, here is some photos taken with the Canon 5D Mark II with 85mm and the Olympus OM-D with the 45mm. To be honest, when I watch them in Lightroom, I can't really tell the difference.

comparaison1.

comparaison2.

Try to guess which is which :)

• Like Like x 11
  2. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    I don't know which is which, but they all look great.

3. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    My guesses:
    1. MKII
    2. OMD
    3. MKII
    4. OMD

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    What's your lighting setup? Looks like one softbox for the younger girl (and some kind of hairlight, or back (to her left) source), but two front sources for the older one?

Agree -- love them all.

5. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    +1 on these guesses!

6. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    For the young one, I have a main light camera right and a second source on the back left.

For the older girl, same setup + another light source camera left that is half power than the one on the right.

As for the guesses, they are reversed. The young one is with the OM-D and the older one with the MkII. Although the older one might seem sharper, it is not. It's just due to the fact that she has very long eyelashes with mascara on it so they pop even more. :wink:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The double catchlights are oddly unsettling on the older model...

8. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    I'm calling that my cat-eyes look... hehe. Those are long and thin lights like kinoflo but homemade. I didn't want to pay 4k$ for a set of kinoflo.

9. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Nice shots, beautiful subjects.

10. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Thanks, the young one is my daughter :biggrin:

11. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Can you tell us how to make similar lights? I am planning on buying speedlights for strobe work, but I am also looking into alternatives (constant lights perhaps)...and the results you got look very professional :)

12. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Sure thing. I first saw this kind of lights in Peter Hurley's work (NY and LA headshots photgrapher) and I like the way it looked. It 's also easier when working with babies since the flash sometimes wake them up when they are not completely asleep. But I found an awesome tutorial from someone who also liked the idea... hehe. Photographer Joe Edelman did some videos on the subject. You can find them here.

The important thing is to use T8 fluorescent bulbs and not T12. T8 use electronic ballasts so they eliminate the flickering. You can chose daylight balance lights too.

13. onurpnr

onurpnr Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    I'm surprised that my guess was wrong!

14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Nice work and welcome to the forum. This place is getting more and more talented photographers all the time!

15. Kadmos

Kadmos Mu-43 Regular

Oct 4, 2012
    Ah. Actually I have come accross this in the past while doing my research. But like many of the criticism he received I also did not like the quality of the light. Some described it as" 80s light" ..But your examples look different. Not sure if the black and white rendering played a role in that or if you had anything special done to them in post?

16. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    The lights in themselves are just that... lights... it's how you use them that's important. You can have a flat look if you use 2 lights of the same power on each side of the model but if you play around with your lights, you can achieve any lighting you want (well, not any but many). If you take the picture of my daughter with one light on camera right and one light in her back, camera left, you can do that with 2 softbox too. I do that often with my studio strobes and softbox, especially on black background to separate my client from the background. I think the criticism was more toward the use of the lights than the lights in themselves. I don't have rails on the ceiling to put them there, I put some clamps behind them and fix them to light stands so I can move them where I want and in the angles that I want. I have one that have 4 tubes and two that have 2 tubes. That gives me some options to play around. The nice thing though is I can use them for video too. Another nice thing is I can shoot wide open. With the flash, even at their minimum settings, I must be at least at f/5,6.

It's a tool... and a fun one. It's cheap to make so if you have some spare time, make one or two and play with them. They are great to learn lighting too since you can easily view the result on your subject as you place them. One giant piece of white softcore cardbox is great too to use as a reflector. When I have some time, I'll put some pictures of my setup.

17. ShrubMonkey

ShrubMonkey Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2012
    Lovely shots, fun comparison too. This was the reason I sold my 5D2 and L glass to go OMD and m43 only.

18. Talanis

Oct 15, 2012
    Sherbrooke, Canada
    Eric Cote
    Sweet. Do you regret your move? I'm really thinking about it too. I'm just scared of the clients perception, especially in weddings. I will try to go shoot a wedding as a second or third shooter with a friend first to see how it goes and to show my clients. I will wait until after the next wedding season to make a final decision. But I would really like to do the same move as you did and sell all my heavy lens and camera to go light with the OM-D and some nice lens.

19. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    Chad
    Not who you asked :)
    But I have shot about ten weddings now with the OMD
    And second shot a bunch to play with it and find out where it worked for me and did not :)
    So wise to do what ya think and second a few weddings with one :)
    I did second shoot two now %100 with the omd and found a few spots for me it fell short :)
    Only one time did someone ask and it was another wedding photographer and it was more a wow I have to check those out !
    I have a long thread on shooting weddings with the omd here

Nobody has questioned me even a high end corporate client I did some work for :)

For me I still carry a FF setup to fill in when I want better focus and the ability to isolate the subject
    Not having to carry a 70-200 2.8 is nice savings in weight dumping my 24-70 for the 12-35
    As I move forward my FF will be down to one body on me with a 35mm prime a 85 prime in the bag and one super wide zoom in the bag
    My omd is going to be the 12-35 and getting a 35-100 75 oly 1.8 in the bag and 60 macro in the bag

I am a firm believer in one system does not have to replace the other as a working pro though :)

20. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    My guess, at first, was the girl was the OM-D and the woman the MKII, mainly due to DOF and the amount of 'compression' perceived in the DOF. I wonder if you could compare the MKII at ISO200 with the OM-D at ISO200 for enlarging beyond 16x20 as far as noise goes. I've heard photographers say the native ISO for the MKII is 200, not 100 or 50. Not even sure what that means. But I assume it means the place where it levels out detail and noise to best contrast overall. Sure do like the shots and I'm going to look into that lighting set up for myself as well. Thanks for sharing your expertise.