Canon 5D Classic to compliment Olympus EM5 (OM-D)

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Bangonthedoortwice, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Bangonthedoortwice

Bangonthedoortwice Mu-43 Regular

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Hi everyone,

I'm after some other opinions on the canon classic. I currently shoot prime with the EM5 with panny 14mm, 25mm pan/leica, 45mm Oly, 12-50mm glass and various FD lenses. I miss my AE1 SLR Camera because unlike some, I like the chunkyness and feel and am curious to see what FF is like. The 5D can be picked up rather cheaply so what do you think?

I want to find out for my own curiosity whether FF is much difference to my much loved m43 camera. I would like one 'DSLR' for studio/outdoor portraits mainly as I would like the thin DOF and bokeh and also the option to print large 45 x 30" size and I think the 5D classic is the answer. What do you guys think? Would it be better putting my money into the Oly 75mm + grip and stay with m43? I would just like some opinions if you have any.

I am also finding that when i pull out a small camera (when you are being paid to take images) irrelevant of your portfolio, uneducated people dismiss your skills as a photographer and don't take you serious. It is obsurd even if it was an m9! A family member recently pulled out a nikon 3100, Popped it next to my EM5 and said "Ha! beat that!" because she is under the impression that physical size counts, "bigger is better" etc and we all know, it is how the person uses it that counts! :) but I just want to try FF.

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Sure, if you don't like it. Convert to an IR.

3. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Wouldn't even consider it...

...unless I had a whole stable of Canon lenses I didn't want to sell. 5D is older technology, and we know how fast that changes. Take a look at the studio shot comparison at dpr.
    It might be better at fast-moving subjects, and it might make a better impression on uneducated people, but that's about it, IMO. Only in these ways would it complement the E-M5.

4. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    IR? I could just sell it again but GAS and curiosity thinks having a FF in my arsenal would be cool and progressive my skills.

5. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Ok thanks, will check it out pecos. Using my cash for a FF kit and being able to use Canon lenses on the EM5 is just an added bonus.

6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    GH3. Chunky, Uses the same lenses, and 12MP FF from 8 years years ago wont have any advantages over current m43 sensors.

7. With_Eyes_Unclouded

With_Eyes_Unclouded Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 17, 2012
    Vassilios
    First of, although those tests don't show the whole image:

DxOMark - Compare cameras side by side

Sensor wise, the 5D is comparable to the OM-D, with the exception of base DR (where OM-D is considerably better). ISO is marginally better on the 5D... that is if you are lucky enough not getting banding noise (which is common in Canons).

The 5D also has abysmal AF, compared to almost any modern camera.

Finally, the 5D actually has lower resolution than the OM-D, so I don't understand where the "printing large" statement comes from.

Probably the only advantage over the OM-D is shallow DOF, if you use it with the right lenses. Which brings us to the fact you'll be buying into a system which means you'll need new lenses also.

Definitely; if this is a focal length you can use effectively. The grip also transforms the camera into a much more ergonomically sensible beast.

Yes, that happens sometimes. If your customers judge you by the size of your equipment (pardon the pun), you've got to find better customers. Like those judging the results of your work.

This person is a fauxtographer; I can't see where their opinion counts in any way whatsoever.

There are needs and conditions where a FF is certainly preferable to :43: and sometimes the only viable choice. And I do understand your desire to experiment; don't get me wrong. All in all I'd say the 5D, although cheap nowadays, it's not a good choice. I'd much prefer a used Nikon D700 (for much more money, for sure), Canon 5DMk2, or even an outsider like the Sony a900, if I'd want to experiment with the FF "look". If a specific FF DSLR advantage was my goal, I'd pick up a camera that delivers. For example, for awesome low light performance, and fast fps, still nothing beats the D3s.

Hope the above helps somewhat...

8. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had a 5d next to m43 off and on the last three years. They go very nicely together, and sometimes I just like the big body. I did though upgrade to a 6d recently.

FF is magic, m43 is a wonder for its size. They work well together.

For my 6d I have the 28/1.8 (it's ok) 35/1.4 (magic) 85/1.8 (magic) and a long zoom.

Go for it! Even just the nifty fifty alone is worth it.

9. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside

First off, much appreciated taking the time out for the reply.

I'm confused now, I thought that having the FF advantage would have better d & r, DOF, faster lenses and I like the skin tones that the 5d produces. I'm obviously a little nieve about m43 being able to stand up to FF. I think the only way I am going to be able to decide is to somehow try out a FF kit and compare the results myself whilst also keeping an eye out for a reasonable priced Oly grip and 75mm... its just the cost in the UK, its nearly the price of a 5D + L Or D700/mkii body used.

The printing large statement, I am under the impression that FF is better for this, especially compared to the m43 sensor size. The 12.8 on a larger sensor would have a much better feel similar to a film 35mm is what I feel/understand IMO although somehow I feel I could be in the minority on this too :/

Thanks again for the food for thought! :)

10. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    I loved the gh2 feel! I even prefere the G2 ergonomically compared to the EM5 with its quick dial controls and I have large thin musical fingers. Gh3 is out of my price range. The 5d alone can be picked up for £300, that is not even the price of one of my primes 25mm f1.4 so I thought having the 5d with a nifty fifty plus 85mm 1.8 could be really useful.

11. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Haha I love this statement. After my initial, "why didn't you get a pen plus prime" reply (as most of her images are captured on the iphone) and for her to ask "What's a pen/m43!? " I understood I shouldn't carry on the conversation anymore as it is pointless. You could give them an D800 but there iphone would be better for this mentality.

12. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    I actually have a 5Dc beside my EM-5 and enjoy it, though I will always prefer the EM-5 for size and weight.

The FF advantage is really only relevant in comparing identical sensor generations. The OM-D is a few generations ahead of the 5Dc. What gains the 5Dc has in size, it looses in efficiency (though with that said, the 5Dc files are still quite beautiful, IMO).

The main benefit you'll get out of a 5D is wide angle narrow DOF which is nearly impossible with μ43--there's nothing in the μ43 stable that can compare to a 24mm f/1.4 or 35mm f/1.4. But that's a pretty niche benefit. At longer focal lengths, the issue grows less relevant (and when the Panasonic 42.5mm f/1.2 is released, it'll essentially be negated). If you large aperture wide angle is something you like, though, that's what its good for.

Kind of. Though the 12.8MP sensor only gets you comparable resolution to the 16MP μ43, superior. The best μ43 lenses on the GH2 resolve 11 "perceptual" MP and the best Canon lenses will resolve 12-13 "perceptual" MP according to DxO, though their concept of a perceptual megapixel isn't exactly clear. All that to say, there won't be a resolution gain. At best resolution will be equal--and the only μ43 lens that resolves that high is the 75mm f/1.8, so you'd do just as well to to buy the 75mm.

13. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    I had the 5Dc and the EPL5 -- same sensor as the OMD. I ran real life shooting, not DXO marks or charts. I would say the sensors (5Dc and OMD) were nearly equivalent in noise and DR. The 5Dc, with the right lenses, seemed to produce sharper results when viewing at 100%. The 5Dc's files also seemed a little deeper/richer in tonal roll-off. The 6D outstrips the epl5, but of course that's a brand new sensor. The 6D is the best output I've seen, having worked with the D700, Fuji's APS-C, NEX, etc. The only ones I couldn't compare to are the Nikon D800 or the Sony RX1. Those two I haven't tried. (nor any Pentax).

btw -- the 5D AF system is not that horrible. I shot a number of fast moving kids events, and I upgraded to the 6D for similar use, and the AF system is only improved in that 1) the center point is more sensitive, and 2) MA. I wouldn't be afraid of the 5D AF, though there are better systems out there, like on the D700.

14. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    Thanks for your input. I'm starting to think there isn't any advantage trying out FF comparing it with the Oly EM5. There's just something in me to give FF a go as i have this 'feel' about the results i see which resembles film the closest.

For me, It's just confusing thinking i could spend around £800 on the 75mm and grip or i could use that money to go back to an older camera system yes, like the 5D for only £350ish! and have plenty left over to get a decent potrait lens that even establish/pro wedding photogs use :frown: (artistic eye has lots to do with it i know) and i also like the feel of a bigger camera, or should i say i miss that, i think it helps you compose shots better just in the same way the EM5 can be easily thrown into different angles that a heavy camera couldn't.

15. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I sold my 5D classic during my switch to micro 4/3rds. The files that came out of it were beautiful, you will probably also like the DOF control that full frame will give you. Noise/performance-wise, its sensor is comparable to the OMD -- which actually says a lot about a sensor that is a dinosaur in tech terms. If you're itching for the full frame look for cheap, you absolutely cannot find a better bargain than the 5D. I had no problems with it (other than not wanting to lug it + battery grip around anymore) as it helped make my living for a few years. I've even considered picking it back up because it's so ridiculously cheap these days (and will get cheaper!).

My 2 cents.

16. Bangonthedoortwice

Oct 14, 2012
    Merseyside
    It's cool i appreciate your take on it. This is exactly what i would like to read because i can connect with what you are saying.

There's just something about FF 'smoothness' and feel that no m43 camera (i have used) can produce. It is purely just my opinion as i have been a m43 advocate for years but as i have been in denial for a long time and i personally prefer the almost film rendering, the cost of a 5D plus 1.4 is worth a shot i am thinking. It would be just moving money around (presuming the used 5D doesn't break on me) and could sell it on if worst comes to worst.

BTW Any tips on non obvious things i should be aware of buying a used 5D? I'm going to view one in the next few days now, i would just check the sensor/handling/AF/and general feel of the camera.

17. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 5D has a "mirror issue" where the mirror can become unglued. Canon will repair it as part of a recall for free. Ask the buyer if it's had the "mirror fix" and google for what it looks like. If the one you are buying doesn't have the fix, you can send it to Canon and get a CLA while you are at it!

Earlier serial numbers have an LCD that's off on color, but given how low res the LCD is, it's not great for reviewing in general, so it's not a big deal.

The 5D does NOT have sensor dust reduction, and even worse, it seems to attract dust more than other sensors. So, learn how to clean a sensor, or be prepare to have a local shop do it every once in a while.

Check to make sure all the buttons are responsive. Especially the joystick, which can become kind of unresponsive.

Obviously make sure no CF pins are bent, and also note that there are speed limits on the CF cards the 5D can take. I forget exactly, but Google for it. basically I think it can't take any of the newer cards over 4GB (or maybe 8GB).

18. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    infrared conversion. TBH, if it's cheap why not, just get the low end 24mm 50mm and a portrait prime of your choice, the 85, 100, or 135. All combined would be 1000.

19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi.. I dont understand this FF madenss and a rat race for thin DOF which u can easily get with MFT . OMD is miles ahead of older 5D Mark and you do have the lenses to get the best out it.Just get over it my friend and enjoy OMD .
    Cheers

20. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Said the man who just went Fuji :biggrin: