Canon 5D—Oly OM-D Comparison

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Dave Jenkins, Jun 18, 2013.

1. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Here's an interesting comparison I made a few weeks ago, just checking some things on my office scales:

Canon 5D Classic with 24-85mm f3.5-4.5 lens (non -L and one of Canon's lighter lenses): 12 very good megapixels, usable ISO 50 to 3200, focal-length range 24-85mm, fastest aperture f3.5. Weight: 2 lbs., 14 oz.

Olympus OM-D with Panasonic 20mm f1.7, Olympus 45mm f1.8, and Olympus 14-150mm f4-5.6 lenses plus Olympus E-PL1 body with VF-2 electronic viewfinder for backup. 16 very good megapixels (OM-D), usable ISO 200 to 3200 (perhaps more), focal-length range 28 to 300mm equivalent, fastest aperture f1.7. Total weight: 2 lbs., 14 oz.

I've been having some problems with the OMD recently. This, for me, is what makes it worthwhile to stick with the system.

2. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Yup!

With used full frame cameras coming down in price at only a few hundred US dollars, I've been thinking about getting an old one, a 5D specifically. I can never justify it though. Mainly because it's getting pretty old tech-wise (5D), and I don't really need ANOTHER reason to buy more lenses.

Size though has me spoiled. I've considered selling my µ4/3 gear and getting a few primes, and a 6D. The mainly reason I don't: size. I carry 5 lenses and camera body in my everyday bag- with not really noticing that I'm carrying that much. If I did go the FF route, there's no way I could carry that many lenses in my bag- well I could, but it's would be quite a bit heavier and I'd have no room for my lunch in there. Selling everything would also be a bit of a pain, and a lot of the equivalent focal length lenses I'd go after aren't as good as most of the µ4/3 lenses I have now.

3. Halaking

Halaking Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 17, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Morris
    You might consider 14-150mm to cover all, and pick one of 45mm 1.8, 12mm 2.0, or 20mm 1.7 for low light.

4. BillW

BillW Mu-43 Regular

Oct 22, 2012
    Scranton, PA
    I sold my 5D once I confirmed that my G5 produced better quality images. After shooting with a G5, it's tough to work with 9 limiting focus points and no face detection on a 5D.

Flash, on the other hand is something that is not yet perfected the way Canon and Nikon have done with TTL.

5. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    But Olympus invented TTL for flash. ;) 

6. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Small size and low weight were the points that got me interested in OM-D. But the killer image quality was the deciding factor. Why would I not get a camera that's smaller and better than the Pentax K-5?

7. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    And having now had a chance to play with a 36R on the OMD I have to say it is a really impressive system.

8. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    The Bassman
    That's pretty much the same comparison I made when I got my E-M5: Nikon D7000 + 16-85/3.5-5.6 weighs the same as E-M5 + 12-35 + 17/1.8 + 25/1.4 + 45/1.8.

9. Dave Jenkins

Dave Jenkins Mu-43 Veteran

Check me on this, but I think that Minolta may have invented it, but did not implement it. Olympus bought usage rights and were the first to put it out in a camera.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.