1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

canon 55mm f1.2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Adubo, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    hi guys, i was offered by a good friend with this canon fd 55mm f1.2 SSC lens, in a very very good price, (50usd). that said, i quickly bought it and the lens is on its way might recieve it by tom.

what are your thoughts about the lens and experiences?

is it any good wide open? i mean, its a fairly huge aperture for a 100mm (35mm equiv)

thankyou!

andrew:smile:

2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    It's known as an excellent lens; I've used the Canon 58/1.2 on my E-PL1 and it is superb!

The 55/1.2 is, I believe, a bit sharper wide open with a slightly harsher bokeh.

3. I think that you owe your friend a few hundred dollars :smile:

I have a copy of this lens (non-aspherical), but I haven't used it much on m4/3 yet because it really doesn't balance well on my E-P1. My copy is very sharp stopped down but probably no more so than the new FD 50/1.4. I find it hard to find a reason to want to use it over the 50/1.4 due to the size, but for the price you paid you've got a great lens at an amazing price.

4. mach330

mach330 Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 19, 2011
    The OC
    i'm loving my 50 f/1.4 ssc lens. it's big, but loving the quality so far.

5. Canon43fella

Canon43fella New to Mu-43

Mar 30, 2011
    Manchester UK
    For "50 bucks" you got steal and if in good condition watch that 50 turn into several hundred in the future as more people turn from the DSLR to the 4/3s system and ease which cheap lenses give fantastic results.
    Who needs AF? the focussing on the GH1 is dead easy and for the price of the 14-140 you can get a bag full of lenses, albeit you lose 28mm... but a cheap 14-42 will do, anyone for a Vivitar 100-500f/8.... 1000mm at f8 lol!

6. This is my copy of the lens here and here. If yours is the aspherical version then you got an even better deal.

7. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew
    thanks for the info guys! :2thumbs:

we have the same copy. mine has a little dust/fungus in the front element, easy clean tho with a techguy.

will be doing a couple of test shots with this. might go out tonight to shoot dimly lit urban areas.

thanks again!

andrew:smile:

8. Adubo

Adubo SithLord

Nov 4, 2010
    Globetrotter
    Andrew

maybe i should change my name to luckyadubo/ lol :biggrin: