Showcase Canon 50mm f/1.8 EF

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by twalker294, Sep 12, 2010.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Olympus E-PL1, Canon 50/1.8II (the plastic mount version)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  2. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    This lens is usable!

(Not sure if the original poster used the same lens, but I used the Canon EF 50mm f/1.8)

I really want to go into using non-m43 lenses on my E-PL1, and being an owner of a Canon XSi, I thought I'd start with my existing Canon lenses. So I got the converter, and used my nifty fifty. I tried it wide-open @f/1.8, and got bad results. Image was too soft, and a bit blurry. (Ok, maybe that was just my effort (or lack thereof) in manual focus - been spoiled too much with AF. :biggrin:) So I stopped it down to f/2.8 - an aperture I was used to with my Oly 17mm.

So long story short, here are the results:

This is actually my first shot with f/2.8:
    [​IMG]

Then tried portrait with (who else?) my kids:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I might just actually try the xsi kit lens for kicks (18-55 f/3.5) and the Sigma 55-200. Will post once I get the chance to go out and shoot and see interesting results (and for once post images other than that of my kids :rofl:).

• Like Like x 2
  3. iliakoltsov

iliakoltsov Mu-43 Regular

Aug 7, 2010
    Paris
    Hyubie , you need to correct the exposure a bit with legacy lenses i would say between -0.5 and -1. Without correction you have the impression that it has no contrast and the colours are washed away. Concerning sharpness , did you use the MF assist ?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Hi Ilia,

I actually set the EV to -0.3. I will try your suggestion though. (Although, maybe the colors were of the third one were just wrong - my bad :). I shot JPEG, and even with the WB adjustment on the camera - which I thought was ok on the LCD - the result was still too warm, caused by the dining room lights.)

And yes, I used MF assist - just need to get used to it though. Thanks!

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Nic
    I find older lenses a pleasure to manually focus because they were designed to work that way. Most modern lenses offer manual focus as an afterthought and the EF 50/1.8 has a particularly horrible MF ring, so I think you've done quite well to focus it at f2.8.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hyubie

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    Sorry but I'm just having too much fun with the lens. :) Maybe because I've been using wide lenses for some time now (first the Oly 17 and now the Panny 20) that I forgot how fun the 50mm POV is. Also, I really enjoy the manual focusing even if the focusing ring of the lens is nothing to write home about.

So here are some more pics (and one more pic of the daughter - I think the focal length is suited for portrait anyway). The bokeh is a little cooky for me as you can see from the first 2 pics, but nothing that some PP won't fix - if I really need to.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Justine portrait BW by Hyubie, on Flickr

Very nice colors:
    [​IMG]
    Dolls for dolls by Hyubie, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    Colors by Hyubie, on Flickr

I saw this by the window, and I immediately thought of Jessica from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. :smile:
    [​IMG]
    Lady by the Window by Hyubie, on Flickr

7. dpj

dpj Mu-43 Regular

Jul 20, 2011
    That last shot is great Hyubie, so simple yet effective. I'm glad to see this lens is not too bad, i know the focus ring is a bit of a pain sometimes due to it being cheaply built, but i loved this lens on my old 400d so hopefully with a good adaptor i can still keep using it.:D

• Like Like x 2
  8. Buffalo

Buffalo Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 28, 2013
    Sydney, Australia
    Bill
    Shot on my Panasonic G3

_1120759sm.jpg

I'm happy with the result.

Made using this attachment from eBay:

ViewImage.aspx.jpg