Canon 50mm ATM + Viltrox EF-M2 replacement

Mark73

Mu-43 Rookie
Hello,

As an E-PL5 owner with a 14-42mm pancake, various adapted vintage manual primes and the above, I'm thinking of something else from the M43 stable to replace the Viltrox and Canon lens, of equal or better quality.

C-AF is terrible, but I don't know if this is down to the camera or lens+reducer combo.

I'm not looking for a BIF monster, but being able to shoot my son on school sports day without throwing out 95% of my missed focus images would be nice. Also, on another note, I recently discovered, black dogs are impossible to shoot!

Am I asking too much of the little PEN?

Thanks,

Kev

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
You've got 2 problems with shooting sports, the camera and the lens/adapter combo

You're just never going to get usable C-AF from any Oly body other than an E-M1 (well, until the E-M5.3 arrives, as it will finally bring PDAF AF-C down into the lineup)

That said, you aren't going to get great C-AF from an adapted Canon lens either.

I'd have to ask at this point, what's your budget? That will determine your options. Ideal would be to get an E-M1.2 or E-M1X and a 40-150 Pro, but there are much cheaper options if you are willing to compromise on AF-C performance that's not as good, if still wildly better than your current combo.

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
C-AF isn't great, even with a native lens. S-AF may be fast enough, depending on what sport you're shooting and what type of action you're trying to capture. If the sports are outside, and you don't need a fast lens, you could try one of the cheaper zooms (e.g., Olympus 40-150 f4-5.6) and see if it's good enough. Otherwise, you'll need to step up to one of the E-M1 bodies or a different system.

Mark73

Mu-43 Rookie
Good food for thought.

I'm not flush with cash so I was hoping to keep the PEN and just swap the lens and speed booster with a native prime of similar focal length and ratio.

I kind of expected the E-M1 recommendations, but I like the pocketability of the PEN range. Is it that much bigger in reality? I guess the EVF is a nice addition.

Ed Diaz

Mu-43 Regular
The Olympus 45 1.8 would be a good native prime to try. It's a great lens and relatively cheap used. A little longer than your speed boosted 50, but size-wise, would work well with your E-PL5.

If size/compactness are a priority, you'll feel the difference between the E-M1 and E-PL5. If you're carrying your gear in a dedicated photo bag, probably not a big deal. But if you're carrying your gear with other things in a backpack or work bag, you'll notice the difference.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom