Canon 430EX2 Compatible with E-P2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by districtdarkroom, Jul 30, 2010.

1. districtdarkroom

districtdarkroom New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2010
    Question: is the E-P2 compatible with any of the Canon line of flashes, specifically the 430EX2 and 530EX2? Anyone have luck with the Olympus FL-36R on the E-P2?

If there are any other flash recommendations for the E-P2 I would love to hear about them.

2. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

3. edb

edb Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2010
    Your Canon speedlite will fire but will not be able to communicate with your Olympus camera.

I have a 550EX that I can get to semi-work with the E-P2 but it's kind of a guessing game when it comes to exposure.

You'll have to manually set you camera shutter speed and then set your flash to the same speed. You'll also have to adjust your flash output. If you don't, then your flash will fire at full power and your pictures will be completely white.

Like I said, it's a guessing game and probably not worth the trouble unless you have a light meter and can manually adjust your flash for the ambient light.

Trigger voltage on your 430EX should be okay. It's mostly the older type flash units that would put out enough voltage to damage your camera.

The above poster, Bilzmale, gave good advice on flash voltage.

Good luck.
  4. districtdarkroom

districtdarkroom New to Mu-43

Jul 9, 2010
    thank you for the excellent advice. i think i might just go with the FL-36R.
  5. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

I didn't mention the only downsides of the FL-36R are (i) it uses only 2 batteries and this slows its recycle time and (ii) its off camera control only works with the E-PL1. A second-hand FL-36 would be cheaper.

At this stage of decision making you might also want to research the Nissin Speedlite Di466 which comes in a dedicated 4/3 (and micro 4/3) model. It is half the price, uses 4 batteries for faster recycling and will operate as a slave flash off camera (if you have two flashes). It has had mixed reviews (try Googling) but is a cost-effective option.

Nissin Speedlite Di466 Flash Black Di 466 / Four Thirds - eBay, Flash Units, Digital Camera Accessories, Photography. (end time 21-Aug-10 21:10:55 AEST)