1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Canon 35/2 FD vs Hexanon 40/1.8 vs Hexanon 35/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PannyKid, Oct 13, 2011.

1. PannyKid

PannyKid New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2011
    Hi!

I'am looking good and sharp choice for taking photos fully open. I have read many threads about those great lenses but still unsure which one choose. So what is you pick and why ? Do you think one of those is clearly best or are differences so small that all are great choices?

BR, Pannykid

2. From what I've seen, fully open is not a good place to be with the Hexanon 40/1.8

3. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    Not the hexanon

I had a Hexanon 40mm and was very disappointed. It looks great on the camera but the shots were dull and lifeless.

4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    At f/5.6 and smaller, its fine to me. Anything bigger, everything does seem dull.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Of the three you list I've only used the Hexanon 40. You've probably already read that it really benefits from a deep lens hood. Even then I'm not sure it's the sharpest lens wide open - not terrible but stop it down a bit and the sharpness picks up quickly.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    The Hexanon and FD 35mm lenses are close enough that you should just go for whichever you get a better deal on. The 40mm isn't as good optically because it was designed as a pancake lens, so it's physically much smaller, which has led to tradeoffs. This is true for most pancake designed lenses: the Nikon 40mm is even worse. The Pentax is decently regarded compared to those previous two. Our own 20mm m4/3 lens is also a very good performer.