Canon 35/2 FD vs Hexanon 40/1.8 vs Hexanon 35/2

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by PannyKid, Oct 13, 2011.

1. PannyKid

PannyKid New to Mu-43

Sep 29, 2011
    Hi!

I'am looking good and sharp choice for taking photos fully open. I have read many threads about those great lenses but still unsure which one choose. So what is you pick and why ? Do you think one of those is clearly best or are differences so small that all are great choices?

BR, Pannykid

2. From what I've seen, fully open is not a good place to be with the Hexanon 40/1.8

3. Chris5107

Chris5107 Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 28, 2011
    USA
    Chris
    Not the hexanon

I had a Hexanon 40mm and was very disappointed. It looks great on the camera but the shots were dull and lifeless.

4. SCT

SCT Mu-43 Regular

Mar 8, 2011
    Landover, MD, USA
    At f/5.6 and smaller, its fine to me. Anything bigger, everything does seem dull.

5. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Of the three you list I've only used the Hexanon 40. You've probably already read that it really benefits from a deep lens hood. Even then I'm not sure it's the sharpest lens wide open - not terrible but stop it down a bit and the sharpness picks up quickly.

6. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 All-Pro

The Hexanon and FD 35mm lenses are close enough that you should just go for whichever you get a better deal on. The 40mm isn't as good optically because it was designed as a pancake lens, so it's physically much smaller, which has led to tradeoffs. This is true for most pancake designed lenses: the Nikon 40mm is even worse. The Pentax is decently regarded compared to those previous two. Our own 20mm m4/3 lens is also a very good performer.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.