CANON 24MM TS/E L II (Tilt Shift) Equivalent/Comparable

shanguli

Mu-43 Regular
Hello folks,
I have a GH3 and wanted to know if you can help me find a tilt shift lens comparable to the CANON 24MM TS/E L II. Something that would replicate the same effect for real estate and architectural shots.

Thank you,

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

... a tilt shift lens comparable to the CANON 24MM TS/E L II. Something that would replicate the same effect for real estate and architectural shots.

I owned and used the TS-E 24 for some years, and considering what your use is I'm willing to stab at the idea you need shift more than tilt (unless you're doing funky effects).

There is more or less nothing in the 35mm world which is 12mm that will give you sufficient coverage for shifting. My method has been to take 2 or 4 images (depending) and stitch it bigger so that I can use the corrections in (say in my case) PTGui

4144523380_a82a9361e7_o.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

of course you can also HDRI it, but then you'll need to ensure you develop it nice and consistently (apply the same processing for each segment and then stitch after you've made it a TIFF)

The work flow can be a bit tedious, but if you are already doing HDRI for your real estate interiors then it should be just a step to the left before your jump to the right ....

You could use a shift adapter (and again make more images and stitch) but my experience of that is that you'll need to shift the body around (or face the same problems as stitching without introducing parallax errors on close objects without a good mount for your camera and the nodal point set)

work well and isn't too difficult really :)

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
The second item I linked is a speed booster.

I didn't know they were "tolerant" with off axis light (as occurs when shifting) without distortions, the ones I've seen are soft around the edges when the optics are on axis anyway. Still, if its a combination you've used and can vouch for that's good. Do you have any example images?

shutterduster

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dave T
How about OM-D E-M1 with firmware 2.0 and Olympus 12mm 2.0 using key stoning?

I have never used anything like this but it sounds plausible.

Thanks, Dave T

Promit

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Promit Roy
I didn't know they were "tolerant" with off axis light (as occurs when shifting) without distortions, the ones I've seen are soft around the edges when the optics are on axis anyway. Still, if its a combination you've used and can vouch for that's good. Do you have any example images?
I cannot vouch for the combo personally, nor would I expect the quality to be quite competitive with one of Canon's best on its native system. However the Metabones speed booster white paper explicitly recommends using the Canon TSE 17mm f/4L on a micro four thirds body, which produces a 12mm equivalent image. It's an extremely expensive combination when paired with the EF active speed booster, but it is a possibility nonetheless.

If the OP already owns the lens in question, he could just get the Canon EF smart speed booster.

pellicle

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
pellicle
Hi

...However the Metabones speed booster white paper explicitly recommends using the Canon TSE 17mm f/4L on a micro four thirds body, which produces a 12mm equivalent image

well they mention it that's for sure, but they don't say what it looks like :)

Fast/Wide Tilt-Shift Lenses: Canon and Nikon have recently made major upgrades to their fullframe tilt shift lens offerings. The Speed Booster allows these phenomenal lenses to be used on mirrorless cameras without losing their field of view. For example, a Canon 17mm f/4 TSE now becomes a 12mm f/2.8 ultra-wide tilt shift for either the Sony NEX or Micro Four Thirds platforms. What’s more, the full range of adjustment in the tilt shift objective can be used even after the Speed Booster is attached.

so they say the full range of adjustment can be used (to me meaning its not physically blocked) but they don't say what it looks like. To me I suspect a bit of marketing here.

Personally I've shied away from any adapters which have optics in them, I've never read that they perform even reasonably and so have had no wish to delve further.

Just something I quickly googled again to see why I'd formed this viewpoint
http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3627547

Clearly the metabones is the best, but I can only imagine the IQ on the edge when shifted (something that's the target here) will be less than what's in those images.

... but it is a possibility nonetheless.

it is indeed ... and to be honest its been good to go over this as I'd put it in the cupboard as a non solution for me some year or so ago, so its been good to revisit it.

Thanks for discussing this (and hopefully this also adds value to the OP)

:)

PS [update]

I just dug out this thread from here (in googling) and it seems to cast the Metabones in a more positive light

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=62048&p=690718#post690718

So perhaps its not as bad as I have seen in other places....

As always YMMV :)

shanguli

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for all the input and replies, but after reading all this wonderful insight, I began to just wonder why there isn't a wide angle M43 Tilt Shift lens? Going the metabones/adapter route doesn't seem to be a sure-fire way of getting great result.
I was expecting there to be such a lens given the vast arsenal of lenses in MFT system.

mattia

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Tilt-shifts are pretty niche lenses - Canon is the only company with a strong lineup of excellent wide and ultrawide T-S lenses, and Samyang is the only real competition with their 24mm variant.

Latest threads

Top Bottom