Cannot use an SD card after it has been used in my Fuji camera

Real Name
Richard
Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can advise me on this. It's not a serious problem but....

As well as my M4/3 kit, I have a Fuji Xf1 compact. As you would expect, it gives every image a "frame number" - which is four digits long. The default is that the numbers do not reset when you put a new SD card in the camera. So, after several years and several SD cards, I reached frame number 9999 and got the on screen message "Frame no. Full".

Now, even though there are about 29GB free on the card, the camera won't let me take any more shots until I put in a new SD card and tell it to start frame numbers from 0001 again. Reading the manual there seems nothing I can do to get the Fuji to use the rest of the space on the card.

So far, so annoying. But I thought "no problem, my epl-8 won't be bothered by Fuji frame numbers, I'll use it in there". Only when I put the card in the Oly, I get the message "card full".

I know I could probably fix this by formatting the card but it seems crazy that it is showing full when it's 90% empty. Am I missing something??

Thanks in anticipation for any advice

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
Different camera brands have different "file systems" on the SD Card, so to use it on the Olympus you have to format it in the camera.
Don't forget to save the pictures on the card first.

I say "file system" but it is really that the camera needs to create certain folders on the SD card if I understand it correctly.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I know I could probably fix this by formatting the card but it seems crazy that it is showing full when it's 90% empty. Am I missing something??

Thanks in anticipation for any advice

Well, there are several different file systems you can use in any memory device and each camera wants to use their own so you just have to format SD card in the camera you are going to use. That process will also create whatever folders your camera needs to store everything in correct places.

BTW SD-card has this annoying write protect tab which is designed so that if it hits something when you push the card into slot, tab will flip to "write protect" mode and least my old Canon did report it as "card full". If card was formatted in another camera, it's likely that Canon just didn't recognize the card at all.

In general the easiest way to fix any card related problem is to just allow camera to format it again. Image numbering is just stupid on most bodies because it will roll over to 0001 after only 9999 images but you just have to live with that and make sure you take backups from SD card regularly

Real Name
Richard
Thanks both for the feedback.

I suppose I shouldn't be surprised that an Oly camera won't work with a card formatted by a Fuji camera. I probably wouldn't have thought twice except for the fact that my Fuji camera seems happy to work with a card that has been formatted on my Oly!

Anyway, no matter. I've already backed it up so I'll just format it and go from there.

Thanks again.

Real Name
Walter
Olympus, and other camera makers too, I'm sure, always recommends to format the card in the camera before use. Formatting it on a computer is NOT recommended, for some of the reasons cited previously. It's also been recommended not to erase or edit photos on the card in camera, but to copy them to a computer, and then reformat the card to erase the files. That's been my practice.

Last edited:

BosseBe

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Bo
SD cards are kind of a cheap media to store your pictures on while you use the camera, but do not use the SD card as long term storage!
I have had SD cards stop working, both physically due to excess temperature and by just not being usable any more.
I even managed to break a SD card in half by handling it wrong.
My recommendation is to always transfer the files to a computer after your shooting session, that way you have a better safety.
Of course backing up of the computer storage should also be done, but the minimum safety is to transfer the files to your computer.

threeOh

Mu-43 Veteran
I believe what you want to do is use up the rest of the space on the sd card without having to format it? And the Fuji can't reset its numbering sequence with a partially filled card? Have you tried changing the prefix letters Fuji defaults to? That might create a new series of numbers. Or you could very simply offload your images and format the card. Quite possibly I’m missing something here.

Real Name
Richard
I believe what you want to do is use up the rest of the space on the sd card without having to format it? And the Fuji can't reset its numbering sequence with a partially filled card? Have you tried changing the prefix letters Fuji defaults to? That might create a new series of numbers. Or you could very simply offload your images and format the card. Quite possibly I’m missing something here.
Yes that's what I wanted to do but no big deal. I backed up the images and reformatted.

BDR-529

Mu-43 Top Veteran
SD cards are kind of a cheap media to store your pictures on while you use the camera, but do not use the SD card as long term storage!
I have had SD cards stop working, both physically due to excess temperature and by just not being usable any more.

The oldest SD card I can still find is 16 years old and came with a Panasonic DV camera. Strangely it's still working and even the original test image is still there. Unfortunately this card is of limited use because it's whopping 8MB so it could store two MFT jpegs but of course you need three of them to store a single RAW.

I'm pretty sure I still have somewhere that 2MB CF card which came bundled with Casio Cassiopeia in 2000 and it was still working the last time I saw it.

I would still not trust these as a long time storage because I have lost a couple of CF and SD cards which simply died without a warning or in one case started creating occasionally read/write errors first.

I always upload images/video to computer immediately after I have used the camera so luckily none of these cards took any irreplaceable images like kids first steps etc. with them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom