Cannot unscrew filter

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by JoelSutherland, Jul 4, 2011.

1. JoelSutherland

JoelSutherland Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 6, 2010
    I've got a filter on my 20/1.7 to protect the lens. Sadly, it might have done more harm than good.

Somehow I managed to screw it on incorrectly. Half of it is a thread ahead of the other half. I'm sure other have had this happen with a nut and bolt.

Now it is stuck and I'm not sure how to remove it. How much force can I safely use? Any ideas?
  2. Grinch

Grinch Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2011
    Get a filter wrench, and save the lense from damage. Or take it to a shop.
  3. G1 User

G1 User Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 20, 2010
    If you have a repair guy locally, they should be able to get it off. A method is to heat it up so the lens/filter threads have [wobble] room. My repait guy had to do this to a m42 > m4/3 adapter that got stuck on the lens mount. It is a controlled deal, not hap hazard.
    OR, a replacement filter ring may need to be put on. a fairly simple deal for a repair shop.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Squeezing the filter tightly to grip it can force the threads together and make it harder to remove. I have an old rubber washing up glove that I use which has never failed to remove a stubborn filter. The added grip from the rubber means you don't need to grip the filter so tightly
  5. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    You can also try placing a rubber band over the filter (it gives you a better grip) and trying to turn it. As noted earlier, you've got to be careful because you can do a lot of damage to the lens filter threads and if you do that, they're no longer useable.

Taking it to your local repair shop is the safest approach.
  6. fotofun

fotofun New to Mu-43

May 6, 2011
    I've tried wrenches. I've tried rubberbands/grips to get a better grip. These work for things only lightly stuck. For seriously stuck filters, they are meager at best. The technique that works for me each and every time is ice. I take a rubbermaid container, fill it with water and stick it in the freezer to make a block. I leave it overnight. Take the block out of the container. The top will be uneven but the bottom that was in the container will be flat. I put the lens, filter down, onto the flat ice. You'll see the room temperature filter melt into the ice. Push it down a bit to make sure it goes down. This is the key part. Hold it in place for a bit and let the ice refreeze. It will bond solidly to the filter. Now you have a big handle for your filter. You can twist it off easily. The ice will also contract the metal ring of the filter a bit which will also help to break the seal. The hardest part is getting the filter off the ice. Just let the block melt and it'll be released. A big advantage is that this will put no additional stress on the filter. All the force will be applied when you are twisting to the threads. It has never failed even with the most rusty stuck on filters.
    • Like Like x 4