1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Cannot open RAW From G3 in Lightroom 3

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Rick Waldroup, Mar 2, 2012.

1. Rick Waldroup

Rick Waldroup Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    I just got my Lightroom 3 in the mail. Loaded it but cannot get it to open the raw files from my Panasonic G3. I loaded the updates but still no luck. Perhaps I am doing something wrong? Thanks for any help.

2. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    Can you be more specific? Are you getting some kind of error message? Can you tell us the steps you are taking?

Also, find the "About Adobe Lightroom" information screen (not sure if you are Mac or Windows). Tell us the version of Lightroom you have installed as well as the version of Camera RAW. It's the Camera RAW version that is important here.

3. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    I believe that you have to use Silkypix (provided with G3) or another processor to convert/develop the G3 RW2 files to RAW. I believe that you can also download something from Adobe but don't recall the name - maybe ARS 6.5... I know that it is 6.5 but don't know if I got the first part right.

4. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    You will need at least version 3.5 (both Lightroom and Camera RAW) to read G3 RAW files.

5. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    It is Lightroom 3.2 and when I load the images it says that it does not recognize the file image. The software came with an update to include newer cameras, including the G3, so I loaded it but it still will not open the RAW files. I think you may be right Sprinkle in that I need to convert the RAW images before I can work on them in Lightroom. I had the original version Lightroom since 2008 and decided to upgrade when Adobe dropped the price on Lightroom 3. I can work around it by going through SilkyPix, but was hoping to be able to avoid that step. Thanks to all who replied.

6. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    All you need to do is go to the Adobe site and download LR 3.6 and install it. It will overwrite 3.2 and you won't need to re-insert your serial number.

Lightroom is a raw converter. You don't need to convert the files prior to importing them into it. Also the ACR engine is built into Lightroom. It is not installed separately. ACR is for Photoshop and Elements.

Gordon

7. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    That is exactly what I did earlier and I still cannot open the files. That is why I am thinking I am doing something wrong?

8. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    Call Adobe.

As Gordon mentioned, you don't need to convert anything.

9. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Okay, I want to thank everyone for their help. I found the problem and fixed it and the files are loading just fine now that I loaded Lightroom 3.6. You see, the problem was operator error, such as me being a complete dunce and not letting the loading sequence finish. I kept thinking it was done while it was not.:confused:

I am now going to go sit in the corner with my hat on. I apologize for wasting everyone's time with my stupidity. I am sure it will not be the last time. :rolleyes:

Next time, just ignore me....:eek:

• Like Like x 1
  10. D@ne

D@ne Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 23, 2012
    Toronto
    This isn't a forum for computer experts...don't think apologies are necessary. ;)

11. Brian1954

Brian1954 Mu-43 Rookie

The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :smile:

Brian

12. Henk

Henk Mu-43 Regular

Aug 18, 2010
    the Netherlands
    Oh well.. we all get older Rick :tongue:

13. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Yes, Henk, I will blame it on old age.:rolleyes:

14. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    If I sat in the corner every time I did something stupid I'd never get to leave it.:smile:

Gordon

15. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England

Welcome to the crowded corner, where we sit with hats on, swap stories about the mistakes we all make, and laugh about them together. :wink:

16. Rick Waldroup

May 28, 2009
    Texas
    Well, at least you all made me feel a bit better.

I always tell my wife to slap me in the back of the head when I act like an idiot. I have been slapped so many times that I now have a permanent knot there.....

17. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    FWIW RAW is a category of image file, not a particular file type. RW2, ORF (and NEF and CR2 and many others) are all RAW files. So you cannot convert an RW2 to 'RAW'.

ACR is Adobe's plug-in for handling various different types of RAW file. It is included with Photoshop, Photoshop Elements and Lightroom.

DH