Cannot edit E-M5 RAW in Olympus Viewer 2

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by KenNeighbors, Jun 19, 2012.

1. KenNeighbors

KenNeighbors New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Ken Neighbors
    Some of my OM-D E-M5 RAW ORF files cannot be opened in Olympus Viewer 2. I have tried re-installing the software from cdrom, re-downloading it from the Olympus web site, and upgrading it from within the software. I have tried re-copying the file from the SD card, and I have tried copying the file from the camera over USB cable (within Olympus Viewer 2). What happens when I click on the RAW file and select "Open RAW Development Window" is that I get a gray screen and nothing else. When I click on most other RAW files they say "Updating... NN%" and then I can edit them. By the way I am using the Windows version of Olympus Viewer 2 installed in XP Home.

Has anyone else encountered this problem? I have searched the internet and not found anyone posting about the issue. I am wondering if it is a bug in OV2 or if something is wrong with some of the RAW files coming out of my E-M5. If someone would not mind trying to load my files in your OV2 and let me know if they have the same problem, I would appreciate it. I have uploaded two of my RAW files here:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/o3jb9vlj7bz1gwx/L4ml500C90
    The first one (K6172096.ORF) opens fine in OV2 RAW Development but the second one (K6172105.ORF) does not.

Thanks for any help in tracking down whether this is a problem with the software or the camera.

2. KenNeighbors

KenNeighbors New to Mu-43

Jun 19, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    Ken Neighbors
    After contacting Olympus Tech Support via email, I received a helpful suggestion to copy the "bad" RAW ORF file to another folder and try opening it from there, and it worked! Finally I tracked down the reason: I keep my photos on a network drive (a bigger disk in a server), and Olympus Viewer 2 has trouble opening some RAW files from that folder. But after I copied the "bad" ORF file into a folder on the local disk, Olympus Viewer 2 had no problem opening the file.

• Like Like x 2
  3. RichA

RichA Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Olympus Viewer stinks and always has. 2 different computers, XP both units the program crashes when you try to open RAW files. Then, you have to use Task Master to shut it down because what is left of it just hangs. JPEG files present no problem.

4. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    XP is the problem, not Viewer 2.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    true that. Also if you use the Adobe DNG converter for both MAc & PC manages OMD Raw files like a charm, and its free, and all that. :2thumbs: