Canikon: please do rage against that machine!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by Der@, Jun 27, 2013.

1. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    From ever since I could remember (except that for sometime in the film days I've shoot with my future wife's Olympus OM) I've lived all the digital photography era in the compact cameras Dark Age. But ,fortunately, I've found the light. Literally! And the light is called Micro Four Thirds. I'm not joking, I must say. Yet, since as harder as I try, I cannot convince my wife that my tiny, cheap metal body E-PM1 is truly good as any bulky, expensive plastic Canon, I would like to cast a challenge to you all:
    What is relevant to say "not in favour" of "Canikon" and things alike?

2. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    The plastic Canon and Nikons are just too much, and too big and too clumsy for what they are. Now if we're talking Canon Nikon with Magnesium alloy bodies with their top lenses. Umm... that's a tough argument. Or those delicious Sony's full frames... Or those awesome PhaseOne's, or a stunning large Format monster. Hey man, who doesn't like a Leica, I'm pretty sure it means elegant in German. I just roll over for Rollei! Yellow and Red make me wet the bed when I shoot and they do the rest. Ilfords best, when shaken... not agitated. oh dear... I'm out of puns or rhymes, thinking of one for Agfa and Pentax got me stumped...

3. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    You could demonstrate the auto-whitebalance from outside to various differently-lit indoor locations : cross your fingers and hope the e-pM1 does as well as mine does : first camera I've had which gets it right most of the time with the new crappy lightbulbs.
    Or just buy the mZuiko 45mm and show her the pictures ...

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    ^^this

5. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    I just still wonder why the rangefinder camera style, that is for me much, much more appealing and convenient than the DSLR has not yet become the favourite one. Does the DSLR format has that much advantages, I mean, technically, so the mainstream manufacturers seem to indulge in it?

6. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    Most of the times (90%?) I don't fiddle with the WB in post processing. I use it in auto mode and I have no complaints about it. Works great!

Don't have the Oly 45mm but I have a similar very good legacy one (Konica Hexanon 40mm F/1.8).

As for my wife (more of a paradigm here) she does recognize the IQ of the E-PM1 but when she looks at a Canon she sees a bulky professional looking camera and she couldn't resist to think and say "that one is certainly/has to be better".

7. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    That's it!

What do you think about the new 100D?

8. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Canon video quality sucks until you get to their super high end stuff (7D but ideally 5D/1D) and their video AF is worthless. The lenses that are matched up to the basic plastic Canons are garbage too, especially that awful kit 18-55. And those viewfinders... terrible offensive little glass pieces. The EPM1 lets you have a nice screen to compose with instead.

9. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    DLSRs are using modern sensors retrofitted into camera designs from the mid 1930s. They're using 80 year old technology that makes them needlessly bulky and adds extra moving parts increasing the chance of failure. :)

The main reason Canon and Nikon are hung up on them is because they want people to keep buying lenses they designed 20 years ago.

10. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    Frankly speaking, I don't get that mentality. I mean, I completely dismiss the notion that for Micro 4/3 to win, somebody (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Leica... doesn't matter) has to lose. It is ridiculous. Why can't people exist without gathering in tribes and warring with other tribes? Is it that difficult?

You like Micro 4/3, it's fine. Somebody likes their Canon, it's fine as well. My wife uses iPhone and I use Samsung Galaxy S4, but I don't think I should rage against the Apple machine or whatever.

11. n3eg

n3eg Mu-43 Regular

I've heard the shape of a Canon camera referred to as a "potato" on another website...

12. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    There are still some advantages to a bigger sensor (of the same generation) and Canon/Nikon/Sony still make FF DSLRs, while nobody makes a FF mirrorless (without a red dot and huge $$$.) For example, I often find myself in very bad lighting trying to shoot people, I prefer zooms and I do like subject isolation (not always, but frequently.) Put those together and even with the 2.8 zooms, the E-M5 can't quite deliver as much as I'd like (though, it does very well for its size.) Give me a 6D with its -3EV focusing center point and two stops of higher ISO (or faster shutter) w/ a 24-70mm f/2.8L II, and I'd bet that I would notice the difference. I have tried the 6D (and D600) in a dim room at my local camera shop and it is impressive for low light. Also, having looked at actual photo comparisons, it really does have two stops better high ISO performance. ISO12800 does look like an E-M5's ISO3200. Of course, that combo is BIG!

However, if you're talking about their lower-end crop-sensor cameras (i.e., not the D7100 or 7D), there's not much benefit to a DSLR.

13. rhoydotp

rhoydotp Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Toronto, Ont
    rpamparo
    definitely with you on this one! :drinks:

14. rnagoda

rnagoda Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    Robert
    This is silly - pick a camera you like and run with it. Take pictures. If you run into somebody with a different type of camera, talk to them about cameras and photography and have fun. Ignore the tools and enjoy the work.

EDIT:

With you both on this one.

15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Yes Dr. Watson....On forums it is that difficult....:biggrin:

16. Der@

Der@ Mu-43 Regular

May 29, 2013
    Portugal
    Dario
    Thanks very much for your comment. I didn't mean, not for an instant, to start a flame war about MFT vs Canon or any other brand or system but the thread title is intentionally provocative... so, I was expecting posts like yours. :wink:

My truly intention was to hear your thoughts about, as I have put after: Does the DSLR format has that much advantages, I mean, technically, so the mainstream manufacturers seem to indulge in it?

Some have understood and replied with a few interesting ideas as you can check...

I personally, to grab your example, use Windows, Mac OS and Linux and I seriously plan to buy a... Canon (for my wife of course!) and if I haven't bought my Pen first I'm pretty sure I was shooting now with a 700D or a D3200 or something like that and maybe I would never met the Micro Four Thirds system because I used to think that only DSLR's were serious and good cameras as they are big and look "professional".

So the rationale is more or less the same that has made Canon to launch the 100D... is "still" there any advantages, technical or others, on the bulkiness this days?

17. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Why does it have to be a fight between systems?

Does a nikon take pictures? Yes

Does a canon take pictures? Yes

Does a MFT camera take pictures? Yes

Then what's the problem?

If life's priorities hadn't shifted, I probably would still be shooting a Canon instead of MFT.

18. Geoff3DMN

Geoff3DMN Mu-43 Veteran

I love micro 4/3rds and I enjoy using my E-PM1 and it allows me to get shots I'd miss because I wasn't carrying my bulky, heavy DSLR gear but to be brutally honest IMHO there are several advantages that my D7000 has over my E-PM1.

Better focus tracking, better low light performance, better battery life, wider range of lenses come to mind. Whilst the only significant advantage the EPM-1 has that I can think of is that it's light and compact whilst still producing 'good enough' results enabling photography at times and locations where DSLR use isn't practicable.

I see them as complementary rather than competitors (which is why I've got both) :thumbup:

Oh and for those saying the D7000 isn't a 'low end DLSR' it sells for similar dollars to the Canon 700D (I paid $849 AUD for mine to replace my 3 year old D90).

19. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    We can't feel good unless we bash something...:smile:

20. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Yes, but that is largely due to the D7100 having been released. They cannot price the remaining stock of D7000's at the same level as the new D7100's (about $300 more), so they are discounted down to the price of the newly released T5i. Similarly, the T4i is $150 or so less than the T5i. The 5D MkII was the pro body of its time, but now that the 5D MkIII is out, the MkII is priced about the same level as the enthusiast-level FF, 6D. It's the features and ergonomics (largely due to the taller grip of the larger body) that make the D7000 body not a "low end DSLR."