candle white balance

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kuo34, Aug 12, 2012.

1. kuo34

kuo34 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2012
    Valdosta, GA
    I've been poking around at taking photos by candlelight but can't seem to get my white balance right. The daylight settings push things too warm and the incandescent is almost too cool. Anyone have a Kelvin setting that works well?

I'm shooting with an E-P3 with a Panny 20mm.

2. Bill

Bill Mu-43 Regular

Apr 15, 2009
    Brisbane, Australia
    Bill (really)
    The problems with white balance is that it's intended to "correct" for the light. It's trying to make whites look white, for example; even when you might want the whites to be the warm color of candle light.

It's much easier to get the color balance you want after the picure is taken. And you don't have to shoot in raw to shift the color after the photo is taken. There are a variety of free programs that will let you adjust the color balance after the fact in your JPEGs. Using Windows7, for example, you might try "Windows Live Photo Gallery."

Good luck

3. TheBiles

TheBiles Mu-43 Regular

May 23, 2012
    Generally, you want candlelight to look like candlelight. That means a nice warm glow, which would be a "technically" off white balance. You don't always have to pull out a gray card and set the absolute perfect balance for your scene. Be an artist!

• Like Like x 1
  4. 0dBm

0dBm Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 30, 2011
    Western United States
    My personal preference for candlelight is 2900 Kelvin.

5. kuo34

kuo34 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2012
    Valdosta, GA
    Thanks guys. I've been shooting in RAW and playing in LR4 (though I haven't had a lot of time for shooting or LR4).

I guess I just need to go with my gut instead of letting the camera decide for me.

6. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    +1. I don't really even bother anymore on camera since much of time, it just doesn't look right. I just leave it on AWB and fix it in post.

7. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    You can always go for custom white balance but you would risk losing the warm glow that candlelight gives. I always try to keep one button set so that I can use the custom WB.

8. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    You could take a look at the "Keep Warm Colours" menu setting (might not have the name exactly right). I turn it off normally, you might want it back on to let the candle-light warmness through.

Having said that, you're shooting raw and using LR - it's easy to apply everywhere once you find the kelvin value you like.