1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Candie in the O Lounge

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by jambaj0e, Dec 20, 2011.

1. jambaj0e

jambaj0e Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 31, 2010
    6543411027_93e77aae28_b.

Hope you guys like it! Please let me know what you think =)

Model: Candie Sripipatana
    MUA: Shiver Feliciano
    Hairstylist: Octavio Solis
    Wardrobe: Lindsey Larsen

UPDATE: I changed it to 16x9 format: See below

6553126419_9ddb66a184_o.

• Like Like x 2
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Great concept and model. The brightness seems a little flat maybe? Just missing some dynamic pop.

Curious -- where's the lighting coming from? Upper left? A diffused spot with barn doors? I'm a real amateur with lighting, so I'm always interested in learning.

3. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010

The lighting was somewhat hard to achieve because it's all gridded. The key is an Einstein monolight with a gridded 7" reflector coming from the upper camera left and splitting the difference between her body and her face. The fill light is another Einstein with a gridded beauty dish coming pretty much directly from the front. I have taken a photo of the city background without the fill light reflecting back in the window glass, which I then layer mask back into the image with the model.

4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Legend Subscribing Member

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    Thanks for sharing the details!

5. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    The key light in the gridded reflector was so close to the circle window that it was actually in frame. I had to remove it in post =)

6. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Any opinions? Would love to hear more =)

7. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    CC from me here: I feel overwhelmed by her legs, and like there is not enough attention drawn to her face. But I don't know if that's a result of the lighting or her position.

8. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Not there's anything wrong with being drawn to her legs, haha, but I see what you mean.

I think a lot of it is her position, with her legs being in the center of the window circle, while her face is on the edge of the circle. I can, perhaps, lighten her face a bit more, but I think your sight will continue to go to her legs because of the aforementioned reason.

9. tanngrisnir3

tanngrisnir3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 18, 2011

I like the lighting but I'm completely over women with ink.

10. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, USA
    I look at your shot and can't help but think it's almost 9 o'clock! :wink:

Kidding aside, do you have any other shots? I can't help but think she seems a little awkward in her pose. Maybe if she was tilted slightly more vertical, she would look a bit more natural. In terms of lighting though, looks good to me!

11. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    Nice shot! I wonder if the pose would look more natural if she were sitting up a bit more though?

Also, I feel like the arm ink could be involved more..it's a detail that attracts the eyes but ends up in the darkness.

/2cents

12. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    I definitely think this photo looks better widescreen:

6553126419_9ddb66a184_o.

13. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    I like it. Feels like a well balanced, lit and nicely colored photo to me. I wouldn't change anything about it. Well done!

• Like Like x 1
  14. jambaj0e

Aug 31, 2010
    Thanks! I do feel that it is better balanced w/ the widescreen and the negative space works well here =)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.