Candid Thoughts by Ming Thein.

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Joe777, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Joe777

Joe777 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 11, 2012
    • Like Like x 7
  2. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    A good read

Thank you for taking the time to express some ideas that are well thought out and articulated.

Making decisions about what kind of photographic gear to settle on for an individual's personal style and skill set can be a difficult undertaking. It can be even more confusing when a few people express opinions (as stated by you in your article) about a piece of gear that they have never even picked up and actually used.

3. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Lot of truth there...
  4. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012
    Alternative translation:

"Don't believe any of those other guys, because they are ignorant. Instead, believe me, because I am genuinely an expert, even though I don't do any quantitative testing."

I think Ming Thein started off referring to sites like Ken Rockwell's and he made some very good points. However, in the absence of any quantitative testing, are Ming Thein's personal opinions really so much more reliable?
  5. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    It's pretty easy to look at his results, and decide whether he knows what he's doing accordingly.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    BEST paragraph in the article...

• Like Like x 2
  7. macalterego

macalterego Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 10, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    Jeffrey McPheeters
    Interesting and well written. I've enjoyed his website since migrating from Canon pro bodies to m43 with the OM-D. I'm pushing 60 and been a serious hobbyist since I got a Brownie in 1959 and a computer nerd since 1980. The only thing he wrote about with which I would argue is the degree of impact any of the so called loud or popular pundits/bloggers/opinionaters might inflict upon the manufacturers, let alone the vast majority of consumers. They don't really get read by or linked to as many or much as they might wish or imagine. The most vocal tech writers of the past thirty years made no measurable impact on Apple, HP, Intel, Microsoft, etc. same goes for the rumor sites. They exist because they serve a need to the degree they can support their existence. Same goes for Android/iOS/ mobile platforms. The overwhelming majority of consumers get their information from an ocean of resources the size of which makes any one opinion writer appear microscopic by comparison. Most still rely on word of mouth. They see what their friends are using. And for the most part they are happy. Not the happy few. The happy many.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Excellent article. Though I'm sure we all enjoy spending our hard earned money on photographic gear, if we don't use it to take great pictures, we are collectors and not photographers. Though I sometimes wonder if I'm making any progress, I still strive to be a better photographer. I too thought of Rockwell when I first started reading. I stopped reading his stuff a long time ago.
  9. Omega

Omega Mu-43 Regular

Oct 3, 2012
    There are plenty others that are arrogant and have little idea of what they are actually talking about. They can show test results, but that doesn't necessarily mean a product can't perform.

However, his personal opinions are just that--Personal opinions. You can take a look of all the pictures on his site and determine that he does look like he knows what he's doing. While I don't necessarily like what he shoots or how he edits them after, I still look at his site as a resource among the many others I look at. You're a fool if you only go to a single website to determine which product you're going to buy.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. phrenic

phrenic Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 13, 2010
    +1. While MT is certainly not the most neutral, accurate, and unbiased pseudo reviewer in the world, i think he does make an effort to give things a fair shake and his portfolio is impressive. I see lots of bloggers and "loud voices" who fail to show us impressive shots or displays of technical skill that demonstrate why we should listen to them.

Sent from my iPad using Mu-43 App
  11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Ming Thein at least acknowledges that his opinions are just that - opinions, and not facts - and that you should treat them as such.

I value the opinion of any number of web sites and forum posters (others not so much). But in the end I need to make up my own mind, based on my needs, and not the swell of the crowd's, or any one member's, opinions. Even the "fact based" review sites, like DPR and DxO, can't know what's important to me.
    • Like Like x 1