Cancelling LX100 pre-order, and going to keep the GX7

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by WT21, Oct 6, 2014.

1. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    I pre-ordered the LX100, because it looked so sweet.

Since ordering that, though, I decided to (finally!) try a GX7 -- having pondered a purchase since March of this year.

Well, after a week with the GX7, and after viewing the DPR LX100 samples I'm going to keep the GX7 and cancel the LX100 pre-order.

It's not just the (possible) image quality, but also I really like telephoto. The P20/1.7 gets most of my 'normal' needs, and I have legacy glass for portraits.

The GX7 is just such a joy to use. At first, it felt like a jet airplane -- the LCD was loaded with info, and there were tabs and Q menus, etc. etc. Overly complex. Kind of like when I first started using Oly in 2009.

Took me a while to whittle it down to it's essentials, but having cleaned it up (turned off soft-tabs on screen, dropped the info-ladened LCD display, etc.) and it's really a nice, simple shooter that is ergonomic, responsive and has great IQ and I can slap a light-weight 40-150 or big-gun 100-300 on the front, or just roll with the P20. Also, it has a bounce-able pop-up flash :)

The GX7 has won me over. Hope it lasts me at least 3 years. I just gotta stay off the lens GAS.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Great to hear you've bonded with it...its an extremely capable and versatile camera.

I've still got an LX100 on just ties in with my travel plans over the next 6 months and also ties in well with a system that I'm trying to build.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    You pretty much summed up my reaction. I hadn't had much luck bonding with Panasonic bodies until now, but this one has gotten my attention.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Joe -- I might still order an LX100, but with the arrival of the GX7, I feel like I can wait for a price drop. If I was traveling, though, the LX100 would be a much bigger draw. Not using the P100-300 if I was visiting, e.g. Rome. :)

Steve -- yeah, when I got into m43 it was all Oly (and legacy lenses) with a dabble on the PL25 and P14. Now, I'm finding Panny is putting out more of what I'm interested in. Not taking anything away from Oly, just surprised by my full turn.
  5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    I wish that the LX100 had simply been a mildly downsized GX7 with a fixed lens, but then I wasn't really looking for a new camera anyway.
  6. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    WT21... there is no reason you won't love the GX7. Congrats! And I'm sure you can easily await a price drop on the LX100.

The GX7 has taken over my EM5, EP5, EPL5 as top choice for general use. It's compact, full featured, great EQ, and I've been loving the electronic shutter, full-time, for months. I have no shutter-blur issues to even think about. It isn't a "perfect" camera. But no camera is. I'm sure you will love it.

That said, I'm eagerly awaiting my LX100 and GM5, simply because I am looking forward to smaller form factor/lighter weight options for regular carry in my daily carry "man-bag." The GX7 and 12-35 have been my regular companion and while I love what that combo offers, I'm hoping to achieve similar imaging results from an even smaller and lighter weight option. That's where the LX100 and GM5 12-32 come in.

After I start carrying the LX100 or GM5, I will continue to have another, small, "ride-along" bag, on board my vehicle, with GX7 and a few carefully chosen lenses... for those times when unexpected imaging opportunities (that don't fall within the LX100's or GM5's range) just happen to pop up.

Which actually happened today. While we were out, my wife suddenly noticed that a diamond in her wedding ring was loose and we needed to drop her ring off at a jeweler for repair. On the spur of the moment, I wanted to take a macro image of the ring before dropping it off for repair.. to document the stones that are in it. Not a critical need, but just something I wanted to do. Fortunately, I had the 9-18, 12-35, and 60 macro in that small, extra "ride-along" bag stashed under the back seat of the Jeep. The 60 macro was brought into action, mounted on the GX7 (in place of the 15) and macro imaging of the ring was done on the front dash of the Jeep, and the ring was subsequently presented to the jeweler for repairs! When we left home this afternoon, the last thing I expected to need while we were out is the 60 macro! But out of the blue, I decided I could use it, surprisingly, and it was close at hand to be used. Back in the day of 5DMkII imaging, such a scenario would never have even happened. The compact form factor of m4/3 has made me quite an equipment junky. Now, it's so easy to have a nice variety of imaging options close-at-hand.

It's great to have a variety of imaging options... and the GX7 certainly has its place, as do some of the wonderful other options we have, in this m4/3 embarassment of riches that we are currently experiencing.

I'm sure you will love that little gem, the GX7. But nice as it is, it may not keep you away from the LX100. :wink: